Hospital Checklist

BREAZA
on 4/18/13 8:34 am, edited 4/18/13 8:47 am
VSG on 04/24/13

While searching prior posts, I found this one and figured it would be very helpful for other newbies like me that are about to have the surgery. Here is a list of some of the most recommended suggestions..it varies for everyone:

• Loose fitting clothes for the ride home (You may be a little swollen!)
  • A pillow (To put over your stomach so that you can put your seat belt on after surgery, to place over your stomach when you need to cough)
  • Chapstick
  • Heating pad
  • Front zip sports bra
  • A list of your medicines
  • Imodium
  • Open back Slippers (non-slip)
  • iPod with headphones (or something to listen to during your recovery)
  • A loose house robe to go around your hospital gown
  • A good book or magazines
  • Water bottle for the ride home
  • Personal toiletries-toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hairbrush, make-up and deodorant
  • Earplugs (In case your roomie snores!)
  • Insurance card
  • Biotene mouth spray (For dry mouth)
  • Cell phone and charger
  • Gas-X
  • Baby wipes
  • Hair band
  • A camera to take before pictures
  • Extra underwear
  • CPAP machine if you use one
  • Reading glasses or prescription glasses
  • Favorite photos that will comfort you
  • Laptop or E-reader device
  • Glad Plugin for your room if you don't like the smell of hospitals. :)
3DogLover
on 4/18/13 9:09 am

This is great, thanks for sharing.

PaintingJoy
on 4/18/13 10:13 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

Thanks!  I'll be using this soon, I hope!

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/13 10:28 am

Thanks!

11Dayzee
on 4/18/13 12:36 pm - Sterling, VA
VSG on 04/11/13

I took a bag along to the hospital and ended up not wearing anything or using much from it. I had pajamas and a robe and slippers, but they preferred that I wore hospital garb.   They put one gown that opened in the front and one on top of that as a robe when I walked that opened in the back.  When you are all drugged up, it doesn't seem to matter what you have on.  I also took along Gas-X strips, but they would not let me take anything that they did not give me.  I ended up using my first one when I was ready to leave to go home.  I did take and use my tablet.  Found it helpful to listen to meditation music as I waited for surgery and read a little as I recovered. Dry mouth was my worst side effect, but they would not have let me use any over the counter product.  I was given sponge swabs on a stick that were soaked in ice water.  I found it to be pretty refreshing. I guess my point is, every hospital is different and may not let you use your supplies.

BREAZA
on 4/18/13 3:05 pm
VSG on 04/24/13
I'm having surgery in Mexicali, Mexico and not sure if they will allow it, but will pack everything just in case.
zpyderly
on 4/18/13 1:26 pm

Keep in mind that you have to keep close track on anything valuable you bring to the hospital. Even there things can grow legs.

Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon THE LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not not faint."

Princess_and4Princes
on 4/18/13 1:48 pm
VSG on 03/07/13

I, too, could not use any medications of my own or my own pj's or robe.  One thing I was soooo glad I had borrowed, though, was a pair of over the ear headphones to go with my ipad's sleep noise setting.  My roommate was THE WORST!  she howled and whined constantly, then to top it off she talked in her sleep non-stop.  I would have gone BA-nanas if I hadn't been able to block her out.  She had a surgery that usually is a day surgery/send you home the same day type of thing.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

BREAZA
on 4/18/13 3:11 pm
VSG on 04/24/13
I could only imagine your frustration with your roommate. I believe I'm getting a private room with a sleeping sofa for a guest. Either way I'm taking ear plugs. Lol
Kelly-AnneH
on 4/18/13 3:33 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If you're going to Dr Aceves, then yes, you'll have a private room with your bed, bedside table, sofa (for your support person) and private bathroom with shower.

One thing to add to that list that I ALWAYS pack when traveling is an extension cord.

I was back down there 6 weeks ago as support for a friend and we took a small electric kettle & thermal cups so I had options besides the cafeteria. (The food in the caf is good, just not all suitable for me) I took dry bean soup, instant oatmeal, Quest bars and RTD shakes.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 271 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views