Couch to 5K...week one observation

christib1975
on 4/22/13 11:34 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

I have been doing the C25K program and thought I would post my story/thoughts on how it's going...lol

Week 1:

First week of program...was easily able to do the 60 seconds of jogging/90 seconds of walking. I was worried that my knee would give me fits due to some existing injury, however, it actually feels better tonight than it has for a few weeks. Might be a different story tomorrow. While worried about my knee, I was TERRIFIED of running in public. At 268lbs, I kept psyching myself out on the drive to the park and the first 60 second interval was a nightmare...but, by the time I finished my 3rd interval, I didn't care. I suppose I realized that I am doing this only for me...so by the end...I was full on running with a big smile on my face!!

Tomorrow will be strength/stretch day and then Wednesday will be another run. If I am feeling up for it, I would like to extend to running 4 days per week...

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

fat2fit2012
on 4/22/13 11:37 am - FL
VSG on 03/05/13

You are doing awesome Christi!  Before you know it you'll be running the entire time and it will BLOW your mind.  Congrats for making the commitment and for your successful first week!

~Fat2Fit2012                    

Pre-Op Weight- 234 | Surgery Weight- 222.2 | Current Weight- 175.5 | Goal Weight- 130

christib1975
on 4/22/13 11:48 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Thank you so much for your kind words...I felt like a rockstar my first week...I can only imagine when I start running the whole thing...lol

defygravity
on 4/22/13 12:14 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

Good for you!!  I've always used an old injury to not run, truth is I just don't like it, but one of my after-surgery goals is to complete a Sprint Triathlon so I'll have to run a 5k.  You should be really proud of yourself!

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

dmhe
on 4/22/13 1:03 pm - TX

Way to go, I was too chicken to start on the 5K program and found a 4 weeks to 1 mile program.  I am on day 2 week 2 and it is such a challenge to push myself.  Once I am up and going on the 1 mile, then I will venture to the 5K! :)

I had knee surgery in December, so I have to be careful, but so far no problem! 

I just wish I knew how to breathe better!  I guess it will get easier. 

And no, I still don't like to run yet...

JimiB
on 4/22/13 9:46 pm - NJ

Hi fellow sleevers.... what is the C25 program you are referring to?  I am 3 weeks out today and I have been going to the gym and doing a mile every other day.  I have also been playing basketball, by myself, but you have to start somewhere.  I would love to start jogging, please help.

Jls8877
on 4/22/13 10:48 pm
Glad you are getting active early out! Good for you! The C25K program stands for couch to 5K. It is an interval running program a lot of beginning runners use to get started. It mixes walking with running to help build distance. You can google it.
When I started running I did my own version of walking and then adding a street that I would run here and there. If you can already jog a mile, you can do C25K easily!
Best wishes!
Keith L.
on 4/23/13 3:00 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Congrats! I am in the middle of week 7 and it is truly amazing how much you improve each week. The only week I had trouble with was week 3, I had to do that one twice.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

JenniferRN
on 4/23/13 7:41 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

WOW good for you!  I have been doing the same program and am on week 6 day 2. It is HARD!  But I cannot do it outside. I do it on the treadmill and find it easier on my shins (at 248 it is hard to run on the pavement).  Keep up the great work!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views