11 weeks out from Sleeve and complications

SassyDiva
on 5/6/13 4:02 am - AL

I had my surgery on 2/1813..  Went home 2/21/13.. Rushed to hospital 2/23/13 with 104.2 temp.  I underwent surgery for leak, was in ICU for days due to elevated heart rate & temp.  A stint was placed in my esophagus to control liquid amounts consumed..  I was in hosp several weeks and had stint removed on 3/18/13.  My doctor kept me on full liq until end of March.  Increased to puree from March to end of April.  I am still on soft diet as of 4/26/13..  My question is I read everyone's post about what they are eating , etc..  With me being 11 weeks out I can only eat (example):   

B: one scrambled egg

S: Activia yoguart

L:  1/4 can of soup

D;  1/2 piece of baked fish

Sometimes I feel as if I am not getting in enough food?

mimij
on 5/6/13 4:27 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Sounds like you are eating quite well considering everything you have been through. If you are allowed on your doctor's plan, I would switch to greek yogurt instead of Activia-more protein in greek and if you are able to have ricotta cheese and cottage cheese, then those would be good sources of protein also. Fish is great. Make a homemade soup or chili with some meat protein in it because you can always puree it if you cannot have solid meat yet. I hope you are able to drink at least 64 oz of water each day and  I hope you continue to improve. Take care of yourself.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

SassyDiva
on 5/6/13 5:41 am - AL

Doing my best with liquids water/shakes/popsicles etc...  I will change to the Greek yogurt.  I am just concerned about amout of food intake.  Also wondering will it always be just one small piece of chicken (drummette size) and 2 spoons of mashed potatoes??  Thanks for reply.

ParisGirl
on 5/6/13 5:49 am
VSG on 04/25/13
I hope this turns around quickly for you!!!!
I'm newly sleeved, but based on what I read here, can I offer a suggestion? Perhaps start to nibble on a 2nd drumette and skip the mashed potato? To aid in healing protein is key. There is no nutritional value in the potato, unless, of course, your doctor and NUT say otherwise for your health.

Be sure to check in with us. We here to offer support.

datachick
on 5/6/13 4:37 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Please check with your surgeon and/or your nutritionist, they will know what is best for you.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

butterfly3851
on 5/6/13 6:07 am - TX

How about a snack between lunch and dinner and a snack after dinner?  Cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt, a shake, sugar-free pudding - that will help get your protein & calories up.   

Sorry about your complications - glad things are better!

hollykim
on 5/6/13 6:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, SassyDiva wrote:

I had my surgery on 2/1813..  Went home 2/21/13.. Rushed to hospital 2/23/13 with 104.2 temp.  I underwent surgery for leak, was in ICU for days due to elevated heart rate & temp.  A stint was placed in my esophagus to control liquid amounts consumed..  I was in hosp several weeks and had stint removed on 3/18/13.  My doctor kept me on full liq until end of March.  Increased to puree from March to end of April.  I am still on soft diet as of 4/26/13..  My question is I read everyone's post about what they are eating , etc..  With me being 11 weeks out I can only eat (example):   

B: one scrambled egg

S: Activia yoguart

L:  1/4 can of soup

D;  1/2 piece of baked fish

Sometimes I feel as if I am not getting in enough food?

you could definitely add in two or even three protein shakes a day. And yes,it MIGHT always be one drumette being a meal for you. that IS,after all,what the surgery is for....to restrict the amount of food we can eat so our bodies will burn our stored fat instead.

j_j_miller
on 5/7/13 5:38 am

I'm basically going thru the same thing myself. I'm now 6 1/2 weeks and just started liquids this week. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital with pneumonia and a leak. They couldn't install a stint due to my dilated esophagus. So I was and am currently still on TPN. (IV nutrition) aside from attempting liquids at the very beginning, I have had no food or drink since. My Dr told me a few days ago that my leak was fine and I can start liquids. It's so hard. I can drink juice, water, Popsicles ect.... But jello and protein drinks are too thick. I made it thru the leak but now struggling to keep liquids down. I was thinking that because my sleeve is over 6 weeks old that I would be easier to hold down liquids. It makes me nervous that I will always struggle and not progress to mushies and solids. My cousin had the sleeve 6 weeks before me and she can eat anything, but just in smaller amounts. I don't know if I will be that lucky. 

I think what you can eat is decent. I hope it gradually increases, but I do think you can get adaquate nutrition with meal plan. I hope you post your progress so I can learn from your experience. 

SassyDiva
on 5/7/13 6:48 am - AL

Yes ma'am,  very similar...  I too was on TPN from 2/25 to 3/9..  I was on full liquids from 3/9 to 3/22.  I went from pre-op 2/14 to 3/22 before I had food (mushies).  I can only drink carnation instant breakfast.  All the others were to thick and caused vomiting.  So I totally understand.  On mushies I basically ate scrambled eggs or mashed Tilapia, etc.  I was increased to soft on 4/26.  I am down 51 pounds.  Just be patient and follow MD advice..  Things will get better. 

Keep in touch,

Stacee

j_j_miller
on 5/7/13 11:24 am

Thanks for the details. I will try carnation instant breakfast. And just give it time. Thanks for letting me know it gets better:)