Now what?!

Jennifer E.
on 5/7/13 12:29 am - OH

Okay today is 3 weeks out from surgery. I am down 11 pounds from surgery date. Kinda frustrated with that. I know, I know....what would I be down without surgery, three week stall, don't compare yourself....BUT when it's you it's a whole different ball game.  I feel decent...only eating 6-8 oz per day. Usually consisting of cottage cheese an egg and refried beans. I am ranging from 55-65 grams protein a day and only able to get 48 oz of fluid in a day. I'm not hungry EVER! I am blessed in that area since I read some are still hungry after. I have no interest in eating especially after forcing the fluids. But overall...I am watching my measurements to sustain me when scale stands still. I am walking most days. But I am gonna double my protein shakes for a few days and cut back on cheeses. I'm worried though...I have to get on a plane in 98 days and I do not wanna use a seat belt extender or crowd the strangers beside me. Plus I am going to Miami where a bathing suit must be worn! I gotta do this! I am so impatient! I am down 24 pounds since preop diet and 31 pounds total! I am just venting sorry guys! I think I gotta lose about thirty pounds more to not have to use an extender...big goal for me! But I am happy with being down 31...just need to keep chugging along!

~Jennifer~ HW 326  CW 277 VSG 4/16/13 

grayC
on 5/7/13 12:40 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Don't beat yourself up...your doing great!!
As far as your trip, it's in 3 months..if you have a loss
Of 2.5 lbs a week, there's your 30 lbs, and I'm sure you'll be
Down even more than that..I will say that I think you have to try to
Force more liquids its VERY important
Good luck!!
YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!

louisamay
on 5/7/13 12:40 am
VSG on 04/27/12

First. Take a deep breath. You will fit in the seat in 98 days. You will lose more than 30 pounds.

Okay? As for swim suits, I went to Hawaii a couple of months after my VSG and while I was by no means slim, I felt so much better and was so aware of how much better I looked, I rocked the beach just by being too happy to care. In my case, because I have a history of sun cancer, I had to be extra careful and wore bike shorts-type bottoms and a long-sleeved top that blocks the sun.

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Women/Swimwear/pc/2240/2186.uts

Since a lot of surfers wear the same to avoid board burns, I didn't worry about not wearing a typical suit. A friend who has no cancer issues bought the same suit to wear when she went on her vacation because they do a lot of snorkeling in cold water and she LOVED it, because she was warm enough to be comfortable in it.

I'm glad you're not having hunger issues. I don't know whether you need to cut back on cheese or not. If your calorie count is low enough and you're getting enough protein, why do it?

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Ket60
on 5/7/13 1:54 am - CA

I'm also 3 weeks out and also stalled. If you read this board enough, you will see that this stall is super common, and all the advice is to just keep sticking to the plan and eventually you will start losing again. But I feel your frustration!

jiller
on 5/7/13 3:36 am - PA

I am about 3 weeks out too and am down only 27 lbs including my pre-op lose. I know how you feel. I am never hungry. I know I am not eating and drinking enough. I am going to try to do better starting today. I woke up early and started with a scrambled egg, had a protein shake about an hour and a half after that . So far I have had only 24oz. of water so I need to step that up but because of the water I am not at all hungry. I think I will try some humus and cucumber for lunch and dinner will be a yogurt for me. Nights are bad for me I want to snack out of habit so I am eating some soynuts and beef jerky to help with that, I also bought some light string cheese so maybe I will have one today. I am going to Tampa and Daytona the end of June so I really want to lose more before then.

sleevegirl
on 5/7/13 3:44 am - Austin, TX

You need to get in more fluid. Set a timer or whatever you have to do. Are you sleeping? Sleep really affects my weight loss.

Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing. Don't compare yourself because I started out larger than you, but if you go to my profile and scroll ALL the way down, you'll see my weekly and monthly numbers. My longest stall was 20 days long (at 10 days out). You'll see big loss weeks and ones where I lost nothing (I don't count any small gains unless they stick around for more than 2 weeks). HUGS. You're doing just fine. Don't let the scale own you. Stay off of it if you need to.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

mjtierra
on 5/7/13 4:44 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12

You are doing great. Just believe in yourself and keep track of your calories daily. If you stick to your plan everything will work out. Stalls, ugh,  I hated them. Sometimes they were so depressing. especially early on. I had many, including a 3 week one. then a 5 week one the a 3.5 month one. and so on. They do break. most importantly get you fluids in including your protein. That is very important. You will do great. My first post op summer was last year and even though I wasn't at my goal weight I felt fabulous. You will do great!! Enjoy your vacay :-) 

Fran001
on 5/7/13 4:24 pm - MI

I'm in the same boat.  First week after surgery I lost about 12 lbs.  Then.....nothing for the last two weeks.  I'm so glad people here have posted about their stalls, time after time after time, so it didn't come as a shock to me.  I still hate it, but at least I know it's normal!

I'm bloody sick of protein shakes, though.  Grrr.

sunny_disposition
on 5/7/13 10:31 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

You will be so surprised how far you get in 98 days!  It will be so exciting to buckle up that seatbelt.  :) 

As for swimwear, as a Miami-girl, I know what you mean!  I have bought this swimsuit in the past (and actually just bought it in a smaller size because last summer's didn't fit!)  It's comfy, flattering, and very well made!

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plus-size-swimsuit-afm152.html

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views