How are your young kids handeling the changes?

get2it
on 5/9/13 2:04 pm - Cedar Park, TX

I'm going to be getting the sleeve surgery done soon and I'm a little worried about how my kids are going to deal with it. They are 10 and 8 yrs old. and they know I'll be eating (drinking) a different diet then them for a while and all, but I was hoping someone would be willing to share there experience and how they are juggling your own meals along with your families. Did every one in the house change their diet or only you? If it's just you, how have you had success dealing with it. If every ones diet changed, how did they deal with it? Which did your nutritionist or doctor suggest? Just any bit of insight would be helpful, thanks.

Diana E.
on 5/9/13 2:17 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

My 5 & 8 year old are completely oblivious.. they know I eat a little different, but don't care.  The meals I cook, I make sure they are ones I can eat with them... which right now, is easy.. as long as it has lean protein, I'm good, cause that's all I can eat.

They do know they can't touch my almond milk and my protein shakes.  Other than that, no biggie.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

Mousesmom
on 5/9/13 2:30 pm - OR
VSG on 03/18/13
My daughter is a little older. She has made some of the changes with me. We buy ground turkey, not hamburger, more fruit, mainly for her, and she loves the little Emily's Bites type things i make. She has access to a microwave at school and she can heat it there.
Its not perfect, she grumbles a bit sometimes and still feels the need to offer me a bite of her bad stuff (darn good manners), but overall its been a change she has done well with.
sleevegirl
on 5/9/13 3:02 pm - Austin, TX

Hey you! I live in Austin (actually, near Lakemall, so might as well be Cedar Park - yay!) Do you know about our meetings at St David's North Austin Medical Center? Send me a PM. I would love to buy you a coffee and we can talk more if you want, if that's too weird, ignore me. I just feel compelled to speak to you more for some reason.

My kids are now 10 and 12 and were 8 and 10 when I had surgery. I was VERY honest with them. They wanted to know details and I gave it to them.

As far as food... what I do is in this thread: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4624636/Moms-with-slee ves/#38356978

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

get2it
on 5/10/13 4:14 am - Cedar Park, TX

Hey to you too!! I'm so glad you saw my post!!!! I did not know about the meeting's at NAMC but I would love to learn more about them. I will be happy to send you a PM as soon as you tell me what it is and how to do it!!! LOL!!! I would love to meet you as well and talk, not too weird at all, I welcome it. Thanks for the thread info. I look forward to hearing from you!!!!!

sleevegirl
on 5/10/13 4:38 am - Austin, TX

Hover over my photo here and a window will pop up... "personal message"

Or email me candytx @ gmail . com

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

MacMadame
on 5/9/13 5:42 pm - Northern, CA

At some point in this process, I had an epiphany and I cleaned up my family's eating. I stopped buying a lot of junk and started buying more whole grain and organic food too. And they survived. 

I wish I'd done it sooner. I wish I'd raised them with healthier food habits.

Oh well, too late now!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Minemake14
on 5/9/13 6:48 pm

My boys 16, 14 and 11, just roll with me...I honestly have not changed what I cook fo rthe family- I just eat my portion of whatever or I make myself something different.  I was honest with them about the surgery, they were totally into the idea of me being healthier and able to be more active with them.  I/we joke about how little I eat now- the only time i get pangs of "oh I wish I could" is on pizza nights, which are considerable reduced but not gone- I eat my protein or ricotta bake recipe instead, the meal passes and it is fine.  The important part for me is that we continue to gather as a family for dinner- what is on the plates does not matter so much anymore:)

Nancybefree
on 5/9/13 7:51 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

My 13yo got it from the day I told her about it and has been beautifully supportive.  My 7yo grandson (soon to be our son!! ) sometimes asks me when I'll be able to eat this or that food. My reply to that is usually "never," but I add that I'm eating what I need to eat so I can keep getting skinnier to run around with him and such. 

I eat what I eat, and I make meals for my family that they eat, and it's cool.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

slatond
on 5/9/13 11:36 pm, edited 5/9/13 11:37 pm

I am a single Mom w/ one child 8 so might be a different situation. Like DEO32713, my child appears oblivious to the changes. She loves some of the things we now eat .. Salmon. Mostly I make the meal and eat what I can and add the things that will make the meal for her.. rice / potato,etc.. that I don't have. As just the 2 of us though, I keep microwave pizza's for her and snacks for her in the pantry. I do keep the ones I know won't tempt me but she loves... (goldfish, nutter bars, etc.)

She loves fruit, meats and salads so she is pretty good with whatever I fix. I normally keep RTD's and protein bars so if we are out and she wants fast food... I can just drink my drink while she eats there. Most of them offer something I can have if I want food 2. But she also goes to places that have food more in line w/ my needs 2 ( Panera's / Chipotle's).

I was worried about this but pleased it turned out to be a non-issue for us.

Most Active