diverticulitis ??

jayla_love
on 5/18/13 8:30 am - CA
VSG on 07/16/12

I am curious to know if anyone has had issues with diverticulitis since the sleeve... or if you have found certain foods irritate your stomache more.  I can no longer have citrus of any kind or I vomit immediately.  Anything spicy causes foamies and cramping for 24-48 hours and nuts or peanut butter sit like a rock in my stomache for hours.  I am 10 months out and have lost 100 lbs

Tirza T.
on 5/18/13 10:20 am
VSG on 01/17/12

My mother has that and it can be very serious if you get an attack or an infection. She did not have WLS but some of the things that cause a flare up are the seeds in eggplant if she has more than 1-2 handfuls of any small seeds or nuts. This is because these things can get caught in the tears in the intestine caused by diverticulitis. She has to have a coloscopy annualy because of this condition.

I hope you feel better soon and can start to trace all of the foods that give you problems so that you can avoid them. Goodluck!

cherip
on 7/26/13 3:33 pm - La Quinta, CA

I just got home after spending 10 days in the hospital with a severe diverticulitis attack. I am 5 1/2 weeks out of Sleeve surgery and was feeling fabulous up until that point. Because I was so new I couldn't take pills orally so ended up on an iv for the full time. Also dehydrated when I got to the E.R. As my surgeon said diverticulitis is a nasty disease. I will see him Monday and need to come up with a diverticulitis/sleeve friendly diet. I know anything with sugar alcohols ( artificial sweeteners ending in tol are not good ). I had been painfully constipated 5 days prior to the attack. Now need to ease solid food back into the diet. Low fiber to start. Scary, scary 10 days.

happyteacher
on 7/27/13 7:07 am

I was diagnosed with it on the last colonoscopy (my first one ever done), but I have not had any issues that I am aware of.  There was once I ate a lot of popcorn at a movie and spent two days in a funk right after that... possibly due to the condition.  It wasn't terrible, but unpleasant enough that I no longer desire to eat popcorn at movies- kinda cool actually. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views