What is the 5 day pouch test?

larjon67
on 5/21/13 12:39 pm

I've tried to search this site but idk if its my computer or the site but I can't use the search function.  Can someone explain this test to me?  What is is for? 

Laura    

HW:  318  SW:  271

Manderley
on 5/21/13 1:50 pm - New Port Richey, FL

I was wondering the same thing, hope someone answers!

HW: 402, Nov 2012, down 89 lbs.      VSG 6/18/13 

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/21/13 5:00 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
It's essentially a 5 day crash diet. Stick to your plan, get some exercise, and you won't ever need a crash diet again.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Deckeriv
on 5/21/13 8:57 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

People that have a pouch use it to try to figure out their capacity. Waste of time for us since we have a stomach, and not a pouch. From what I understand, it's more a fad diet for RNY patients than a real test and from what I've heard, it's sort of silly.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Jessica O.
on 5/22/13 1:37 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Never done it but here you go...

Days One & Two: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. 

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy.

Day 4: Firm Protein 
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game.

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

larjon67
on 5/22/13 11:41 am

Thanks for the info....I don't want anymore crash diets!!!!!  That's partly what got me in trouble in the first place.  I'll just stick with a plan---you guys rock!

Laura    

HW:  318  SW:  271

Carmelita
on 5/22/13 2:13 pm - Four Corners, NM

It always amazes me how VSGrs who NEVER EVER tried or completed the 5DPT  KNOW so much about it...and ready to slam it, anyone who inquires about it or actually DOES or DID IT

The 5DPT is a VERY useful and effective tool for VSGrs. A tool like any other tool... a high protein low carb "diet", very low calorie "diets", myfitnesspal, a cookbook that sits in your kitchen library collecting dust like ALL mine do! ha! TOOLS!!  Can use em IF ya want to , don't want to ...don't HAVE TO.  ...same way I feel about 5DPT. which Ive done maybe 6 times in my post VSG life to break a stall and jump start my weight loss. 

"Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it" Chinese Proverb

The 5DPT 5 Day Pouch Test...was developed by RNYr Kaye Bailey in 2007.  RNYrs are the model in bariatric surgery. DSrs and VSGrs alike get ALL our diets the no drink after eating rules, progression in texture dietary phases post op,  calories, daily macronutrient requirements, vits/minerals, and other tools like the CCT (cottage cheese test)  to check our stomachs capacity which many VSGrs do/have done.. post op...ALL come from  RNY

The word POUCH to describe a VSG stomach is used pretty much exclusively by doctors, researchers , and BARIATRIC SURGEONS..incs this forums sponsor Dr. Criangle. (a quote of his describing VSG "pouch" on my Bougies in VSG blog) my medical records from VSG describe it as a "pouch", my gastroenterologist records describe it as a "pouch" .

.some VSGrs  get pretty offended when they see our sleeve's referred to as a pouch...lmao!  I about punched my older sister in the mouth when she introduced me as "the one who had gastric bypass" at a Christmas party 3 months post op but would never think of punching my surgeon in the mouth for sayin I have a pouch! 

the 5DPT is a GREAT TOOL. ..rec for VSGrs over 6 months post op ...one gal here posted her nut said to wait till after 9 months post op so you check with your nut in case...some day...

when your moanin n groanin for months about the crap carb creep and need to carb detox,break a stall or plateau, need to get back to basics, reaffirm THE RULES of EFFECTIVE weight loss, jump start your weight loss, complain of NO restriction "because I eat  more than jane doe or joe schmo" , Ive regained at 2 years out so Im looking to go under the knife again for resleeve, DS, a lapband around my sleeve.. blaming VSG, blaming my surgeons technique anyone and everyone...

let me tell ya that 5DPT can be a GODSEND! It tells you plain as the nose on your face...your restriction is INDEED THERE and NEVER LEFT YOU!!  in ONLY 5 DAYS!!   By 2nd day your in ketosis...pure unadulterated FAT BURNING for energy mode. By day 3 NOT hungry anymore. Day 4 & 5 most weight lost. Most Ive lost was 8 pounds in 5 days..followin it to a T! . Usually the typical 5 in 5...in ONLY 5 DAYS!!  It has NOTHING WHATSOVER to do with CALORIE RESTRICTION "dieting" /torture...its about reaffirming the rules, checking restriction-gettin that tight feelin back

5 DPT looks like this:

DAY 1 and 2 full liquids: protein supps, protein based lo carb cream/blended soups/broths, sf jello/puddings. 

Day 3 soft protein ...i.e: soft fish inc canned, eggs  lo carb (lactose) cottage cheese, yogurt/s

Day 4 firm protein...i.e ground turkey,chicken, beef, all fish types (avoid fried, breaded)

Day 5 solid protein....i.e. lean (not fatty) dense proteins:  white chicken /turkey breast, pork tenderloin, beef /steak, game meats 

Each subsequent day ....you can include any foods you had the previous day/s.

Can have salsa, chili, chipotle/mayo, mustards lo carb/SF condiments, spices, flavorers to jazz things up. This atkins carb list includes spices is pretty good. 

Day 6 and thereafter...if you so chose...go Atkins induction phase maximize ketosis...it  adds a whole list of low carb veggies allowed in induction. ...go next Atkins stage....if you want. 

A few caveats on doing the 5DPT on my Stalls and Plateaus blog. ..gotta scroll down some.

Do it...Don't do it  Just don't be so ready to  about it ...if ya don't

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views