8 days out - don't feel well

bamaya
on 5/22/13 12:54 am - Nunica, MI

Just wondering if this is normal.  I've felt great the last few days, then last night was very tired, and today I'm nauseaus, my side hurts worse than yesterday (which my surgeon said might happen, although I don't know why), and I just feel blah.  My protein and water intake has been getting better every day, and was really good yesterday.  Today I don't want to eat or drink a thing.  Is this normal?   I've also lost 7 lbs since my surgery last Tues.  I know 7 lbs in a week is great, but it seems like 3-4 days of basically no calories and minimal the last few, it would be more than that.  Maybe I'm just being impatient.  I tend to be a scale stalker...LOL....I weigh every morning, even when I tell myself I'm not going to.  

HW:232, SW:217, CW 190, SD: 5/14/13

Jackie T.
on 5/22/13 1:15 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

It sounds like you are going through the normal ups and downs of coming home after wls.  Remember you just had major surgery so some days you are going to feel good and other days not so good and if you do more on one day you might hurt the next.  Keep getting your fluids down you so you don't dehydrate and try getting up and moving as much as you can because it will help you heal.  The weight loss is different for everybody but if you don't stay hydrated you will retain water.  Don't let the scale consume you!  Listen to your pain and if it gets worse call the doctor but you are going to be sore for a while and that is normal.  Try not to do a lot of twisting and turning or lifting until cleared by the surgeon.

Welcome to the losers bench!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Deckeriv
on 5/22/13 2:01 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Some aches and pains are fairly normal. You just had major surgery, but you will be okay. Drink your water if nothing else. You can go without food but you can't go withou****er.

7 pounds in the first week is awesome considering they probably pumped you full of 5 or 6 pounds of water so your net loss is fairly large. It will come off, don't worry.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Bloodshotbetty
on 5/22/13 3:10 am - minneapolis, MN

Totally normal.  I am over 2 weeks out and I still have really crappy days on occasion.  Whether it's physical or emotional, some days I just want to crawl under my covers and stay there.  This too shall pass!

-Alycia-

Melody2
on 5/22/13 3:23 am
VSG on 04/10/13

Remember, your hormones are adjusting.  And, you're adjusting from what I call the "surgery high."  Mentally and emotionally we all become "keyed up," per se, prior to surgery and for a couple of days thereafter.  Then, as we begin to settle back into our normal routine the "blah" feeling kicks in with a tired feeling.  I can't speak for everyone, but I was just tired, cranky and things bothered me more than usual.  I really hated changing my bandages.  Hang in there....you will get through this and begin to feel better.

Be gentle with "you" and do things that make you feel somewhat better.  Wear your favorite PJs and robe.  Watch a good movie.  Rest.  Ask the doctor for anti-nausea meds (my doc sent me home with a few...I only took a couple but they helped).  Not sure if you're driving, but if you can, have your hair washed and styled (makes a world of difference when someone else does your hair). 

Remember to take care of you.

bamaya
on 5/22/13 3:38 am - Nunica, MI

Thank you everyone.  I do think I'm coming down from the "surgery high"....realizing I have 2 more wks of liquid left.  This too shall pass....patience has never been my virtue!  

HW:232, SW:217, CW 190, SD: 5/14/13

jenny4674
on 5/22/13 4:21 am - TX
I am 7 days out and feel a lot of what you are feeling. My emotions are all over. Today was a good day got a lot of stuff done but at noon I was so tired and could not go anymore. I am suppose to return to work next week and nervous cause I just don't have much energy. Any advice will help.
Will make it through this.
VSGSteve
on 5/22/13 11:24 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

Same thing happened to me. I was fine days 6-8 then 9 -12 I had new pains and discomfort. All in the healing process...

Hang in there , when you get to 14 days you will feel alot better, then 21 almost normal...  

I'm in week 6 and done with pain. I feel normal like nothing happened....

How many grams of protein are you getting in daily?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

justpete
on 5/22/13 11:54 am
VSG on 04/02/13

I was feeling pretty blah around that time too, I upped my water and it helped.  our bodies need a lot more water when we are 'starving' ourselves and in constant ketosis (like those first couple weeks).  try to get in some more water and see if that helps.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active