Kettle bells - can you point me in the right direction?

Miss150
on 5/24/13 8:57 am, edited 5/24/13 11:35 am
So,Ms Shell got me curious about these kettle bell thingys. I mentioned them to Hubby, and lo and behold, guess what my Mother's Day present was? Pretty cool looking bowling ball type things; I've looked around a little on UTube and there are some work out tapes and suggestions, but they raise further questions- like:<br />
- Is this a cardio workout or resistance training or both?<br />
- do I use them every day, or should I alternate days?<br />
- Is the idea to go non-stop for a period of time, or do I work "sets"?<br />
I live in a very rural area and there are no kettle bell classes I can attend. Is this something I can properly learn and execute myself? Any video sites to recommend? The thought of flinging these things around is mighty intriguing and I think I could get into them if I only had half a clue......

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

AnnieinIA
on 5/24/13 11:28 am
Kettle bells are both cardio and resistance training. As with other weights, you should alternate days.

They aren't difficult to figure out but the moves are a bit different than you may be used to. There are lots of videos - take your pick.

I have the book - Kettlebells For Dummies that is pretty good

A
KB1964
on 5/24/13 12:54 pm
There are several good DVD's out there. My favorite is actually Jillian Michael's shred it with weights. It has a beginner and more advanced version. Form is very important so an instructional video is key if you can't make a class. Alternate days is a must starting out. They are a great workout but you can hurt yourself if they are not used properly. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views