I feel like I am doing the Atkins Plan.... conflicted....

simmie78
on 5/23/13 9:38 pm

I've had the same thoughts/issues.  I want to respond to the Atkins part and the binge part, so stick with me...

I eat about 70 carbs a day, on average - so on the Atkins plan, from what I just Googled, I would be in week 12 of the Atkins plan.  I'm about 7 months out - I have never had less than 40 carbs a day (probably except when on pure liquids).

I have basically stayed away from pasta, rice, bread and get my carbs from yogurt, fruits, veggies, the occasional serving of beans and potatoes and the occasional lite Myoplex protein shake...I often find that I want something sweet after I've eaten so the fruit/yogurt usually help with the cravings.  My weight loss has definitely slowed in the last 3 months- that being said, I workout a lot and have continued to get smaller and see changes in my body. 

I cannot agree more with the poster above who said, don't worry about the carbs or even the weight loss - it will happen.  My dr told me the same thing actually.  He is definitely not worried about the carbs, nor is my NUT.  That being said, I live in Asia where a pound of rice is consumed at every meal by genetically blessed, stick thin people who do not have a lifetime of issues with food.

Now on to the topic of binging...I too have had a problem with binging - for more years that I would like to admit.  Big deal for me to admit this. 

I have found that after surgery I have been less inclined to binge.  Maybe it's the shock of the surgery.  Maybe it's because Ive lost 70 pounds and see where I was and where I am.  It's certainly not because I've mentally changed - I'm still a binge eater and I think I always will be - especially when stressed, PMSing or just depressed.  But somehow I'm doing much better now.  I believe part of it is the restriction - which just naturally makes me stop eating.  I have never thrown up from eating too much since surgery and I have only had the foamies twice in the first 2ish months.  This is not because I'm the picture of restraint. 

I've had many moments of head hunger where I have mindlessly eaten chocolate or more than an ounce of cheese too much cheese and too many crackers but have not really been able to "binge" the way I once did - I think it's great and shockingly I feel pretty balanced - unlike when I have dieted before and would end up binging and "ruining" months of progress - it seems that actually eating something that I want/crave and just less of it seems to be working and I credit the surgery to thelping me get to this point.  And I think I can stay at this point. 

I feel much more balanced since I've had surgery, part of it is definitely the restriction - I mean, you literally can't really binge anymore.  This surgery has forced me to slow down but I think I've really started thinking more about why and how i was binging.  So hopefully it will help you too!

S

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views