Does vision change after surgery/weightloss?

Mommydoo
on 5/25/13 9:10 am - OR

My surgery has not yet been scheduled but the surgeon believes it will be sometime in July - I have to finish a 90 day weight management program required by insurance before final approval and scheduling.  But I have a question - I know I am going to need new glasses/lens at my next vision appointment (June 3rd) but am thinking of possilby waiting to purchase new lens (bifocals are quite $$) if my prescription may change due to the weightloss from surgery.  Has anyone experienced vision changes or have experience that they can comment on this? I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Kimberly

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

pineview01
on 5/25/13 9:18 am - Davison, MI

I would wait.  I was wearing a slight prescription and when I went back I didn't need it just the ready part for old eyes.  I talk with them about it and the doc felt it was the drop in BP more than anything.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Mousesmom
on 5/25/13 9:22 am - OR
VSG on 03/18/13
I would wait. I wear reading glasses but for about 2-3 weeks after surgery I needed them for more than reading. For watching tv, etc...
Its better now, but they are definately not the same.
Anesthesia, medications or age I am not sure which. Or maybe all.
Cwuddy
on 5/25/13 9:23 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I have experienced exactly what you mentioned and it is very frustrating.  I had my eyes checked in April last year and then had my VSG surgery in August.  By October I noticed my vision was blurry and my night vision was horrible.  My labs revealed I was low in Vitamin A and when I went back to the eye doctor he told me that would explain the night vision issues but not my other problems.  He changed my prescription for my contacts only just in case my vision got worse again.  

I went back in January b/c I noticed my vision had again gotten blurry.  Sure enough my prescription had changed again and the same thing happened just a few weeks ago.  I have held off ordering glasses until my vision stabilizes b/c it is too expensive to keep changing lenses  but my eye doctor has been great about giving me trial packs of contacts to get me through.

My eye doctor explained that metabolic changes can have huge effects on your vision.  He said he often has patients who find out they are diabetic then are confused once they go on insulin that their vision gets worse/better.  I never had diabetes prior to surgery but he thinks that my blood sugar may have been a high normal and now that it is sorted out it is affecting my vision.

Everybody is different and you may not have this happen to you, but I wish I had waited b/c I ended up with a six month supply of contacts that I couldn't use after surgery.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Mommydoo
on 5/25/13 10:19 am - OR

Thank you all for your comments.  I will wait! :)

lunarose
on 5/25/13 2:11 pm - Newhall, CA

My vision did get worse after surgery but whether from surgery or aging I can't say.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views