Has anyone here had Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Quebec? Need info on Nutrition

melpd
on 5/30/13 4:13 am

Has anyone here had Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Quebec?  Need info on Nutrition.

I have been to the Ottawa weight management in order to see the nutritionist given the fact that mine is out in Quebec City and I am in Gatineau, QC.  I received booklets and great info on pre-op diet as well as post-op diet.  When I bring up what I can and cannot eat  to my dietician in QC, she refuses tons of stuff that are permitted in Ontario.  

For example, no light mayo, no tzaziki as a dip for veggies, no splenda, no protein shakes, no mio, crystal light etc.

Anyone else here gotten the same as me as far as info?  I don't know what to eat anymore :(.  They may even not operate until the winter and are making me go on pre-op diet for 6 monts???  Is that normal??

Thank you for your time,   Melanie

justpete
on 5/30/13 8:21 am
VSG on 04/02/13

I did have surgery in montreal.  no 6 month plan here, that might be due to your being from out of provincem or maybe lacking a referal..  a 6 month regime is not the same as a pre-op diet.  a 6 month plan is to help you lose weight prior to surgery.  a pre-op plan is usually 2-4 weeks and is meant to condition your body (esp liver) for surgery.

i can only assume that the things you are not allowed to eat are for different parts of your plan.  not weight loss, pre-op, and post-op all with those restrictions.  obviously you cannot survive post-op without shakes.  and i've never heard of not allowing artificial sweeteners unless you are diabetic or have some other reason to avoid.  the light mayo and tzaziki sauce is probably due to the fat and calories in them - i think most ppl here would steer you towards a greek yogurt variation of these (it's godo and good for you).

I'm sure there are lots of people here that can help you figure it out, but you need to post the details of your plan from ON and QC to see. 

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

pineview01
on 5/30/13 8:33 am, edited 5/30/13 8:34 am - Davison, MI

Have you asked on the QC boards?

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/QC/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

melpd
on 5/30/13 9:11 am

No I haven't. I wasn't aware that there was one.  Thank you.

pineview01
on 5/30/13 9:13 am - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

sonia29
on 5/30/13 9:16 am

That's why I hate the public healthcare! go private if you can you will be pleased! no price for your health!

29y/ 5'4 / HW 265/SW 255/CW 120.1/Final goal 125

melpd
on 5/30/13 9:24 am

I live in Quebec and so I have finished all my tests etc.  The only problem I see is that they believe I am not organized enough to have surgery.  Why with all the prep if they don't plan on operating me anytime soon. :(  I know it's a lifetime of changes but given I am having only the gastric sleeve, they believe that splenda will gie me an increased apetite for more sugar.

It's getting long and confusing.  My dietician hasn't given me any food guides or nothing.  Just half a plate of veggies, quarter plate of starch and quarter plate of veggies.  (that's for lunch and supper)

For breakfast it's  Half a plate of starch, quarter plate of fruit and quarter plate of fruit.

I must drink 2l of liquid each day, and then,that's about it.  

Anyone have any meal plans for post-bariatric surgery or pre-bariatric surgery that you have and are following?  Would help me with the planning part. 

justpete
on 5/30/13 10:17 am
VSG on 04/02/13

sounds to me like that is just the regular stuff from canada's food guide.  WLS plans will have you eating a lot lot less and drastically different in relative proportions and quantity.  I think she is jsut trying to get you started in the right direction ... a  preparation for a more drastic change come surgery time.  it's a good start.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views