Experiment Complete -Results Noted

mdusha
on 6/3/13 8:39 pm - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

So I decided to focus on protein, but add back more veg and some fruit. Adding the veg, in the form of raw greens and roasted veggies was a great idea! My loss revved up and I felt great. Adding a banana to my day yesterday...not so great. I don't believe bananas are inherently bad, but I think they are too carby for carb-sensitive me. I was hungry all day, thirsty, but not wanting water, and generally felt like crap. I really think it was the fruit. 

So, lesson learned. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced similar issues with fruit?

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/13 8:50 pm
On June 4, 2013 at 3:39 AM Pacific Time, mdusha wrote:

So I decided to focus on protein, but add back more veg and some fruit. Adding the veg, in the form of raw greens and roasted veggies was a great idea! My loss revved up and I felt great. Adding a banana to my day yesterday...not so great. I don't believe bananas are inherently bad, but I think they are too carby for carb-sensitive me. I was hungry all day, thirsty, but not wanting water, and generally felt like crap. I really think it was the fruit. 

So, lesson learned. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced similar issues with fruit?

Bananas don't really have all that great of nutrtion.  They are mostly sugar.  If I am going to eat a banana instead I think I would just go for it and eat the candy bar instead.  The same exact thing happens with blood sugar.

I avoided fruit until I got to goal, just too much sugar.  YMMV.

mdusha
on 6/3/13 9:16 pm - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

Yep...think you may be right. I won't do it again while in loss mode. But I'm glad I tried it and learned. Maybe lower glycemic fruits like berries?

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

Nancybefree
on 6/3/13 9:23 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm avoiding all fruit during WL phase, with the very recent exception of blueberries.  My nutritionist really, really wants me to eat some of those, so I fit in .25 cup when I can.  They haven't triggered me, so ::phew::

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

sunny_disposition
on 6/3/13 9:59 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

A friend of mine actually has a fruit allergy that sounds like it has the same effect.  It prevents her from losing any weight also, no matter what else she may be doing!

Keith L.
on 6/3/13 10:07 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yes it was the banana. High glycemic, starchy carb. Spiked your blood sugar and super dose of insulin. Made you hungrier. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

cajunlady1958
on 6/3/13 10:23 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I did the same thing. When I talked to my doctor he gave me a list of low carb fruits. Plums are the lowest that I could tolerate and keep losing. They are very good when they are cold on a hot summer day.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/13 10:44 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I would do raspberries if I felt that I wanted a bit of fruit during my losing phase. Now in maintenance I added in strawberries but it's interesting - for some reason I seem to have quite of bit of restriction when it comes to strawberries. All I an eat it about 3 medium size berries before I feel restriction. They don't trigger cravings for me but just seem to sit heavier in my stomach.
Bloodshotbetty
on 6/4/13 5:12 am - minneapolis, MN

Eating too much fruit is not what made me fat.  So, if I'm craving a banana...I'm going to eat a damn banana.  Will my weight loss be slower?  Probably.  But for me, it's sustainable.  I put half of a banana in my smoothie every morning and I haven't had any issues.  

-Alycia-

A. Kondrlik
on 6/4/13 8:14 am
VSG on 01/24/13

i have been eating very small amounts of a variety of fruits since 3 mos out.,  I have not found it increases my hunger, but it surely increases my satisfaction with my meals.  I eat the occasional banana, (1/2), but do try to be sensible and not eat them often.  I feel that the more variety we eat in our plan, the more sustainable it is.  I do try to eat 2 small servings of vegetables daily, and will eat veggies before fruit.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views