shopping list

forthetwins
on 6/18/13 1:57 am - CA

Trying to put together a list of what to purchase for the first few weeks post surgery. I would love to hear about your favorite protein powders, soups and drinks. I would also like to know about anything you found very useful during those difficult first few weeks and any tips for a comfortable hospital stay.

I know its a lot of questions. I'm just a couple weeks away from surgery and I need to start preparing.

~nikki

stephintexas
on 6/18/13 2:01 am

I had to try a few protein shakes to find one I could tolerate. For me, it was Muscle milk low cal. Eventually, I could have more. That was the initial one. I also bought beef stock and chicken broth. Jello was amazing. I went back to work within 3 days so i didn't find the recovery painful, just a bit tiring. The constipation was awful awful awful so I used enemas at first. I lives on sugar free popsicles the first week or so. i had tropical and reg flavors. Sleep when you're tired, is the best advice AND walk as soon as possible. The sooner you get moving, the better the gas and constipation are.

Maggie73
on 6/18/13 2:06 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

I would love to see a list like that too!

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

band2sleeverevision
on 6/18/13 3:03 am
VSG on 02/25/13

2 weeks of clear liquids:

7 packets of Unjury chicken soup

Unjury protein unflavored

Crystal light 8 boxes of various flavors (10 serving per box)

decaf coffee-instant and regular

sugar free jello-4 boxes

2 weeks of full liquids:

replenished all of the above and added:

EAS ready to drink low carb protein shakes

Unjury canister of protein powder: Chocolate, unflavored, vanilla and strawberry

Jello pre-made sugar free pudding

ArmyWife29
on 6/18/13 3:25 am - GA

I LOVE the GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein powder.  It mixes so smoothly in a shaker bottle, still have a shake every single morning :). I also found demitasse spoons and shrimp forks incredibly helpful for the first three months. They really helped me learn what appropriate bite sizes were.  I still use them on occasion 5 months out!  I also got a couple 1 and 2 liter water bottles, they were less intimidating to me than 4-5 smaller bottles.  Also lots of Crystal Light, I still use this everyday too!  In the weeks before surgery I pre made and froze mild flavor chili, chicken soup (no noodles!), as well as about 2 months worth of freezer meals for my husband and son to eat.  The book "Don't Panic Dinner is in the Freezer" is AWESOME for this project!  I mentioned shaker bottles before, and I would be sure to have at least 2 on hand...I have 4 now.  They will get a lot of use!

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

forthetwins
on 6/18/13 9:47 am - CA

Thanks so much for all the info!

~nikki

troopersma
on 6/19/13 3:31 pm

Don't forget vitamins as well.  I am about a month pre-op and those are still on my list because I can't decide on what to buy.  LOL.  I also visit eggface's blog quite often and she uses the sugar free Torani flavorings and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) in some of her protein drinks so I added those to my list for future purchase.  She has a lot of unusual ways to get in protein (mixes protein powder with greek yogurt and freezes, makes protein "ice cream", etc.  I love her blog and assume it's ok to post a link?  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views