Whey Protein isolate versus Whey Protien - what are you being told to drink?

Mommydoo
on 6/24/13 1:20 pm - OR

So I was confused at the surgeon's office today.  From reading the different support websites/Facebook pages, I thought after bariatric surgery patients were required to drink Whey Isolate Protein but I was told today it doesn't matter is long is it is "whey." 

What have you been told?  What has been recommended and / or required for you to drink as your shakes post surgery?

Thank you!

Kimberly

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

sunshine66
on 6/24/13 1:39 pm

whey protein powers (mixed with water or milk such as: Isopure, Designer Whey, Body Fortress, Wheybolic, Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added), Glucerna, Boost Glucose Control, Atkins Advantage, AdvantEdge, Muscle Milk, Low-Carb Slimfast, Myoplex

**skim or 1% Milk

Information taken from my patient handbook.  Hope this helps.

themexcellentone
on 6/24/13 2:33 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

My NUT told me whey protein isolate.  Recommended shakes/drinks:

• Isopure Zero Carb
  • Syntrax Nectar
  • Premier Protein
  • EAS Myoplex Lite
  • Unjury Protein Powders
  • EAS Myoplex AdvantEdge Carb Control

I'm preop but I dig the Isopure and Unjury. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

MacMadame
on 6/24/13 3:51 pm - Northern, CA

whey protein is just a protein from milk. Isolate is a way it's prepared. There are 3 ways:

Isolate - the whey is completely extracted from the milk and no lactose remains. Heat is used to do this and some organizations think that's bad but others think isolate is the best because there is no lactose. If you are lactose intolerant, the no lactose thing is probably important. If you aren't, it's probably not.

Concentrate. The whey is mostly extracted from the milk but some lactose remains. Heat isn't used. It's cheaper. If you are lactose intolerant, the lactose might bother you.

Hydrolyzed. Not only is there no lactose but the protein is broken down. Some people call this type "pre-digested". It's hard to find and expensive. For our sugery type, it's probably not important to pay the extra money for it. If you have problems digesting protein, it might be.

These 3 types are also available for other types of protein such as soy. Soy protein isolate is just soy with nothing else. Soy protein concentrate has some soy flour left. Soy protein hydrolyze is pre-digested.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Mommydoo
on 6/25/13 11:04 am - OR

Thank you for the explanations.  What did your surgeon require you to have?  Or does it matter.  Perhaps it doesn't matter but I had thought Isolate would be better for lean muscle mass retention and building - am I wrong?

MacMadame
on 6/25/13 2:14 pm - Northern, CA

What matters is how many grams of protein are in there.

If there is also lactose in there, that just means some carbs to start with. But then the manufacturer choice how many additional carbs to add so sometimes it doesn't make a big difference. however, you can't make a protein product with zero carbs unless you use whey protein isolate because the lactose adds some carbs. Since lactose is a milk sugar.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views