Do any "extremely obese" men have input for me?

MNBigDawg
on 6/27/13 11:39 pm

I would love to hear about your success or struggles.  I have attended the initial seminar and have my first nurse visit today.  I am currently leaning towards VSG, but am wondering if my size warrants something more drastic or not.

I am 6'3" and 520ish.  have hypertension and sleep apnea, but cholesterol is fine and I am not even pre-diabetic (certainly odd for someone my size!).  I was also born with rheumatoid arthritis. 

I have been loving reading the success stories, but since they are mostly from women, I would love a man's take on this procedure.  Or, if any females have insight, feel free to post too. 

Thank you all for the information on this great forum so far!

happyteacher
on 6/27/13 11:48 pm

There is a man on here named Jimbo who lost over 300 pounds.  I don't see him post anymore, but he would tell you it is entirely possible to lose the weight with the sleeve.  Read posts and note the signatures, as most will show you how much a person lost.  You can track down people that way also.  It is not uncommon to see on these boards folks who lost over 200.  Losing over 300 is more uncommon, but I think only because it is a little more uncommon to be starting up in the 500's, not that the sleeve can't get you to goal.  

Look for Keith- he is around 165 lost so far.  I think at the moment he is one the currently posts frequently and is pulling down some bigger numbers.  

Good luck on your journey!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Hadrian
on 6/27/13 11:55 pm, edited 6/27/13 11:55 pm
VSG on 06/13/13

I have a buddy that went from 475 to 220 and he was a big help in confirming my decision to go through with it. Even though he had complications, he said without a doubt he would do it again in a heartbeat. What other procedure is there that would potentially add 20 years of life? I have not had complications yet (knock on wood) and am already seeing great results. I'm really more at ease now knowing that there's a great possibility that I won't die young and may actually enjoy my grandkids. (I was 310, trying to get to 210)

I think that VSG is the best out there right now because you don't change your absorption of nutrients like gastric bypass. When we get old, sometimes its hard to get all of them in, why make it more complicated? Good luck.

Birdie55
on 6/28/13 12:00 am

I don't think Jimbo posts much but you should check him out.  He lost something like 350 pounds.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/jimbovsg/

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Italian-Princess
on 6/28/13 12:08 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi BigDawg 

There are two men in my support group who were told they needed the RNY to lose their weight, but they pushed for the sleeve and both are doing an amazing job of losing their weight.  One started at nearly 600 pounds and in 3 months, he's lost 120 something pounds.  The other gentleman started out at nearly 500 and has lost 90 something pounds in his first 2 months.  Neither of these men are as tall as you........one is about 5'10" and the other maybe 5' 6" -- not that height makes a difference -- just giving you some particulars.

Their successes thus far have them off the hypertension and cholesterol meds, and one is totally off his Type II meds and the other, who was having to take insulin shots 6+ times a day is now on only oral medication of 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day.  That's HUGE! 

Getting off meds and taming my comorbs was the real reason I had my surgery -- the weight loss was a GINORMOUS side benefit.  Yes, I'm a girl, but still, the aims we have are universal.........to find better health.

There is another man who still comes to our support group who has been in maintenance for almost 2 years.  He is tall like you, weighed a little over 400 pounds and had a sleeve done.  He's now about 190 pounds of solid muscle today.  He worked out like a maniac during weight loss stage and he's been successful keeping the weight off.  He lost the weight in about 16 months. 

What you're trying to accomplish can be done with the sleeve.  It takes a LOT of hard work, patience, weighing and measuring your food, following your surgeon's/nutritionist's plan diligently, and being compliant as much as you possibly can be.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know what you decide.  I know this didn't come from a man, but I know these 3 gentlemen quite well from our support group and they are testimonies to what successes you can achieve with a sleeve.

Good luck............

Ree

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

sleevegirl
on 6/28/13 12:19 am - Austin, TX

I've seen many men do absolutely awesome with the sleeve that start out at 65 BMI, which is where you are.

I'm a girl, but I started at 60.5 BMI and am now around 24.5. Best decision of my life.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Keith L.
on 6/28/13 12:58 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Bowing down to the sleevegoddess!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

sleevegirl
on 6/28/13 1:06 am - Austin, TX

As well you should, my minion ;) xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Keith L.
on 6/28/13 1:07 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Your wish is my command, highness!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

justpete
on 6/28/13 12:24 am
VSG on 04/02/13

personally i think the safest way to go is to do the VSG with the option of switching to the DS a few years down the road if you dont lose enough.  usually this means you start out with a sleeve size on the larger end of things, but that really wont interfere with your initial loss and it may be enough to get you all the way to goal if you manage to make changes to how you deal with food and exercise.  RNY is a good option too, but with the arthris meds, i think the VSG with a DS option is the best way to go since the VSG has the lowest risk of ulcers of all the WLS surgeries.

I have autoimmune liver disease and have to take a lot of medications for it (probably similar to yours), so that is what my doctor advised me. (either way, you'll have to take meds to protect your stomach if you arent on any already).  I'm on the larger end of things too with almost 200lbs to lose, so having the option of adding the DS in the future is a nice security net ... though i think i can make it to goal with just the sleeve.  Just 3 months in and i'm doing well, my activity level is way up and i'm not having hunger problems or any VSG complications at all.  my BP is way down, i should be able to stop my meds for that next month.  my leg edema is almost gone.  I didnt have diabetic problems either, though my diet was already pretty restricted from my liver and gallstone issues. Best thing about VSG is that we are required to eat a lot meat, guys love meat and BBQ!

I think Robber started at about the same weight as you with VSG and he's doing extremely well.  he doesnt post a lot, but a message to him might help you make a decision.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views