Need help with selecting my Whey Protein Isolate Powder!

CToddRobbins
on 7/7/13 12:07 pm - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

Hi All,

My VSG is scheduled for the 25th of this month and I have been researching all my protein and vitamin choices. I have read several old posts regarding powders, but still have a few questions. I am trying to figure out what powders I like best, so I can eventually buy in bulk.

First question, how much protein powder is considered a month's worth?  (2 lbs, 4 lbs??) I realize this may vary a little bit from person to person. I am also trying to incorporate the costs into my monthly budget. (Thankfully I can take it out of my Pizza and junk food fund!) 

Next, any suggestions on what brands to buy and where to purchase?  I am an avid Amazon shopper and have a Prime account, so I get free two day shipping. Has anyone had luck finding powder on Amazon? 

Also, if this has already been discussed on another post, please point me in the right direction. Trying to figure out the best powders and vitamins has been a little intimidating. Thanks in advance for your help!!! 

Todd

HW 327 lbs   SW 294 lbs Surgeon's GW 210     My GW 190

themexcellentone
on 7/7/13 12:15 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I would try sample packets of powders that you're thinking of first before buying an entire tub.  Nashua Nutrition allows you to purchase single servings of powders so that you can try them out. 

The protein powder that I like best is Unjury Chocolate Splendor.  It's the only one I've tried that I wasn't a. repulsed by and b. could tolerate without getting nauseous.  You can buy Unjury directly from their website.  Also, their vanilla one isn't bad either.  I got a few samples from my dietician a while back so if you have to meet with a dietician, that's another good way to get samples. :)

As far as ready to drink proteins go, I dig Isopure Zero Carb in the orange flavor.  Tastes just like Gatorade to me and doesn't have a protein-y smell.  Both the Unjury and Isopure are whey protein isolates, which are absorbed better by our bodies.  I bought the Isopure at a Vitamin Shoppe by the case, which was $46.99 for 12 20-ounce bottles.  The nutrition on those bottles is pretty good:  160 calories for 40 grams of protein and no carbs.

I've tried the Twisted Cherry Nectar from Syntrax and I didn't care for it, but a lot of people like the Nectar flavors.  This week I plan on trying the mint cookie (I bought samples from Nashua Nutrition) and chocolate truffle.

Good luck! 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/7/13 12:24 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I would suggest buying sample packets if possible. I bought several boxes of packets of the syntrax vanilla, chocolate, lemonade, etc. Although it is more expensive doing it this way, I had less overall quantity that would have been wasted and I had "to go" packets to save for later to take with me after I found which tubs I wanted to buy for my large supply. Now, I stick mostly with vanilla and can add a bit of cocoa powder if I want chocolate, I like that better than having multiple tubs sitting around. The syntrax vanilla creme is really good. I added cocoa powder and warmed milk early postop and it was like hot chocolate, which warm liquid was very satisfying at that stage. I did not like any of the bottled non dairy liquid type proteins, those were horrible IMO, so I'm glad I just bought a few individual bottles from GNC.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

katym
on 7/7/13 1:25 pm - PA

Hi Todd,

I hope you do not feel like we are ducking your questions, it is just that there are so many variables.  Everyone has different tastes--and sometimes it seems like everyone has a different plan from their surgeon or nutritionist. My plan recommended Nectar or Unjury brands.

If you are on clear liquids for 1-2 weeks and then full liquids for 2 more weeks before you even get to the puree stage, you are obviously going to need much more protein powder in the 1st month than if you are told you can try purees as soon as you get home from the hospital. A 2 lb canister of protein powder usually has 30-35 scoops with 1 scoop being 1 serving. Unjury has smaller canisters - about 1 lb.

I agree with the others who have recommended getting sample packets. MyBariatricPantry.com usually offers a sampler of 10 different Nectar flavors which I found very useful. (in fact I still order it once in a while so I will always have a variety of single serving packets available when traveling.) Unjury offers a starter pack that includes a thermometer and a shaker cup on their website. A thermometer might sound odd but it turns out that protein doesn't mix if the water is too hot 

One issue that complicates trying to make protein decisions before surgery is that tastes often change after surgery. Sometimes it just lasts a few days as your body shifts into ketosis, sometimes it is longer lasting. For me there was about a week that nothing tasted good and every flavor other than Unjury Chicken Broth seemed sickly sweet. After a week my tastes pretty much returned to normal, tho I still use a little more liquid per scoop of protein than it says on the package so not quite so sweet.

Good luck with your surgery and all the preparations. 

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

defygravity
on 7/7/13 1:31 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

I would hold out on buying bulk.  Alot of people here and also my drs office say that tastes can change after surgery.  I'd hate for you to buy in bulk and end up not being able to use it.  That being said, I have only tried a few, two were from Amazon.  I got the Pure Protein 35 g protein Vanilla and it's not bad.  That's what I've been using preop to get my protein in.  I also bought Syntrax Medical Unflavored protein powder.  It was cheaper than Unjury and I have free shipping from Amazon, as well.  I've added it to soups and yogurt and it's been fine.  

My doctor gave me samples of protein powders and vitamins.  They told me to wait until after surgery to use the vitamins because of the taste thing.

Good luck.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Pamela B.
on 7/7/13 3:34 pm - AR
VSG on 08/14/15

Congrats on your upcoming surgery mine is the 24th of JULY 2013 I bought 5 lbs of muscletech from samsclub its PREMIUM and DELUXE and improved flaveor with taxes was like $38 they had van. and chocolate I tried the van. and it really suprised me and you can add crystal light to it to make it flavord the choc is probley good also I hear great things abt it on here I also bought some muscle milk light GNC has it on sale online I like the samsclub better it really not messy at all ,,,,doesnt stick to your glass/blender bottle

Pamela B.
on 7/7/13 3:38 pm - AR
VSG on 08/14/15

PS I SENT YOU A FRIEND REQUEST please accep*****

CToddRobbins
on 7/8/13 12:47 am - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

I did! Thanks for the invite!

71dart
on 7/7/13 7:38 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Local Wam-marts here have Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate powder in various flavors for about $15.00 for a jug. 30 g protein/130 cal/1 g carb.

I still use it to replace 1-2 meals a day which lasts 3-4 weeks, but pre-op a jug lasted about a week.

You can also use various flavorings for variety: SF pudding, SF syrups, crystal lite, fruit, cocoa powder, even instant coffee.

Expensive? Yes, but cheaper than a Ben&Jerry's habit.

VSG on 06/12/13
Hey, I did as many of the others suggested and stocked up on sample packs beforehand. I was able to get many of them from mybariatricpantry,com, which is based in GA, so depending on where you are in NC, they should offer 1-2 day regular ship time (I get mine next day). Their prices seem to be generally in line with other locations, especially once you calculate tax and shipping.

And, like many of the others, my tastes have changed, too, since surgery. I used to like Isopure powder; now it has a horrible metallic taste. I do find the nectar lemonade and lemon tea have become my go-to protein powders.

Good luck!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views