Should I be eating?

hannahp
on 7/8/13 9:13 am - MS

I'm 5 days post op and I cannot eat. I have had half a sugar free popsicle and about 3-4 bites of some sugar free jello since surgery. That is it. 

I can't fathom eating anything else. I'm not hungry. And, even when I think I'm hungry; I'm not. I can't even seem to force it.

I have gotten my water in with no problem. I've had NO protein since surgery. My doctor said I shouldn't be worried about protein until a week out and then it is time for business with the protein, vitamins, etc.

I'm scared I should be eating but I'm also scared to eat????

Any advice, suggestions, tips? I went to class after class and felt so educated but now I just feel lost. Ha. It's just a weird feeling. 

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Tracy D.
on 7/8/13 9:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You need protein, girl!  If you can drink water you can get in some protein.  I don't know your diet restrictions but you could do clear Isopure drinks, perhaps some protein waters and the Unjury chicken soup, which has a good amount of protein per cup.  

You have to be the "parent" right now and make your tummy do what it's supposed to, which is feed and sustain you.  I'm not saying force food in there but you have to give yourself some minimum nutrition.  Are you taking your vitamins and other supplements?   Those can't be sitting well on an empty stomach :-(

Hang in there - it really does get better!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Daisys4me
on 7/8/13 9:37 am
VSG on 06/25/13

Hi Hannah,

I am 13 days post op and for the first week the only thing my doctor was concerned with is getting my water in.  I didn't start protein or vitamins until day 7.  My first week was pretty much the same as you are doing, which was SF popsicles and SF Jello.  I also had some chicken broth. 

Shellie

claimmaster
on 7/8/13 10:16 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I'm 3 days post-op and have had 101 grams of protein today from two bottles of Isopure and a serving of Unjury Chicken Broth.  If you can drink, you can get in your protein.  Keep working on it.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

hannahp
on 7/8/13 11:48 am - MS

3 days out and 101 grams of protein?? WOW! 

Hannah, 25

cappy11448
on 7/8/13 10:34 am

Hi

You really need protein to keep you healthy and most of it will come from liquids for the first month or so. Most people drink the protein shakes.   I drank chicken broth with unflavored protein powder,  I put protein powder in yogurt and jello and sugar-free, fat-free puddings.  ,

the thought of eating made me queezy for the first 6 weeks or so.  Now its better. Thank goodness for the chicken broth - I couldn't have met my protein needs without it.

Good luck.  It does  get easier. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Angel1974
on 7/8/13 11:05 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I eco everybody's else comments.  YOU NEED PROTEIN!  

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

hannahp
on 7/8/13 11:47 am - MS

Thanks for the responses!

Gonna work on my protein. I cannot do the powder but I have some of the Isopure drinks so I'm going to start trying to sip on them. 

I hope it really does get better! HA

Hannah, 25

hollykim
on 7/9/13 3:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

yes you should be eating. if you can drink ,you can eat. Being hungry no longer factors into your decision of whether to eat or not. You may never be hungry again. I am never hungry 3.5 years out. If I didn't eat by the clock,i would starve to death.   Even when I feel no hunger,I CAN and DO eat!

You are going to have to eat too or your body is going to cannibalize itself to get the protein it needs. that will not be a happy place to be.

GL

Most Active