Grits????

hannahp
on 7/9/13 4:32 am - MS

Ya'll are going to get really tired of me posting all these questions.

DAY 6 and I'm feeling a lot better!!

I need to eat but for some reason I just feel like I need something with substance. I had some cream of chicken soup last night and had more than I have. It's thicker - I feel like I'm eating, I guess.

I still have 5 days before I go to pureed but I just got my diet plan out from my doctor and realized something that I can have is grits. Ok, gag, I never liked grits. They were so gross and just ugh. But people say taste change and I'm willing to try. 

Is there anyway to make grits better? I read in a forum a while back there was some special kind of cheese we could have. Maybe not at my stage? But, is there? I thought maybe melting some over the grits would make me like it a little better. 

I read on another website to cook the grits in chicken broth instead of water? Any luck with this?

I thinking "feeling" like I am eating will make me push myself better. Maybe I'm being crazy?

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Keith L.
on 7/9/13 4:37 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Probably should not eat grits. They are kinda high in carbs. They will make you hungrier down the road. 

I do love them though. With some cheese and butter...mmmmmm.

If you really want something yummy, super healthy, and with substance check out Elina_7's green chicken soup. Just make sure to put the chicken through the blender too.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

mimij
on 7/9/13 4:43 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I agree with Keith. I know there are different schools of thought but I didn't have anything carby like that until maintenance. Find member Elina_7. She has pages of soup recipes on this website that can totally liquified with an immersion blender or Vitamix or something similar. My fave is the southwest chicken tortilla soup- without tortillas! of course!

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

hannahp
on 7/9/13 4:50 am - MS

I'm not supposed to start pureed food until next week. Which, I would consider blended soups? Or no? I will go check out and see though.

I didn't even think about the carbs when I saw it on the list. I def don't want to waste my carbs on something I don't even like! THANKS! 

Hannah, 25

mimij
on 7/9/13 5:00 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

If you puree Elina's soups carefully, they will be no different consistency than the cream of chicken you already ate and I guarantee they will be a helluva lot better tasting!

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/13 6:36 am

I would double check and make sure grits is listed for the full liquids stage. Grits was listed in the purees in my plan if it was runny and only 1 TBS at a time. Sort of a why bother, I'd say. Personally, I think runny grits suck! They need to be thick and creamy and cheesy.....

Okay seriously, I wouldn't eat them. I would go to a Greek Yogurt flavored with a little sugar free syrup or splenda and vanilla first and see how that works for you. How about some sugar free Jello Puddding?

Those two things helped me get through my full liquid stage.

hannahp
on 7/9/13 8:38 am - MS

I went back and looked and grits is on the list. It says

Grits - Thinned

TOO weird. I'm staying away from them. I don't even like them. Ha. Back to sugar free jello it is. 

Hannah, 25

SophieNJ
on 7/9/13 6:41 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Grits - not until stage 3 for me, which was 6 weeks out....thinned out with extra water/skim milk...at the time I was told not to worry about carbs (now I do).  I'm lazy, so I used the instant in pouches, and added Unjury Protein Cheese. 

Now, I think twice about grits due do the carb count, but will have maybe once a month if it fits into my plan for the day.

good luck!
Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

A. Kondrlik
on 7/9/13 7:15 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I love grits but haven't had any post op.  Pretty carby but not a whole grain.  Not actually full of nutrition.  Plus my nut said the will swell up in my tiny tummy, kind of like white rice would. they are NOT a full liquid, and nut said I could not have even in puree stage  due to the swelling up in the tummy.  After that I decided there wasn't enough nutrition to justify the carbs.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active