Hair loss

Nancy1221
on 7/9/13 10:25 am

I currently have extremely thin hair I'm going on week 4 since I was sleeved and I am terrified of the hair loss stage! I will be returning to work on Monday and plan on getting a haircut before I go back I don't plan on going super super short but at least above my shoulders. I'm really hoping that I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to deal with hair loss since I've already had to deal with with it the past couple of years drs called it "hair stress". The good thing is my hair grows pretty fast but it's still really thin. I'm scared!

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/13 10:40 am - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

A lot of people, including myself, take Biotin to speed re-growth. Just a suggestion. Some people on here also take zinc. I haven't tried that, but have heard good things. 

Nancy1221
on 7/9/13 10:45 am

I need to ask my dr when it's ok for me to get back on my vitamins! I'll do and take whatever to hopefully not get it as bad. 

vixkix69
on 7/9/13 11:01 am

I, also, have thin hair. I am so worried about the hair thing! But besides that fear, how are you doing? I havent even had surgery yet

Nancy1221
on 7/9/13 11:05 am

I am doing great! Still fighting the temptations at all the parties. I have slipped a big and some chips. Big mistake won't be doing that again! It's something that I have to adjust to but I'm taking it one day at a time! Do you have a date? I just wanna get past the hair stage :/

chica904
on 7/9/13 11:47 am - Neptune Township, NJ

I also have thin hair and already experience hair loss due to PCOS that I have had for years.  I was sleeved on 2/25/13 and just hit the hair loss stage (again) within the past month.  I started taking 10,000mcg BIotin with Keratin.  It has helped in the past ( i also had lap band for a few years and went thru hair loss during that also) but I can honestly say that there isnt much you can do to prevent it...just help the regrowth.  Good luck!!

Starting Sleeve Weight (2/25/13) - 233

Current Weight (7/1/13) - 197

Goal Weight - 175

Jennifer N.
on 7/9/13 12:39 pm

I went through this too. I am now 27 months post op. I lost almost all of my hair. Between the rapid weight loss and hair loss, many people would ask me if I was dying of cancer. It was awful. I did take Biotin. I also used some shampoo called Nioxin found out most salons. Mine grew back very very fast.

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 7/9/13 9:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I only started to loose hair at around 6 months post-op...it lasted maybe 6 weeks...I was very worried about it but it turned out fairly minimal for me.  I did not take any additional vitamins or biotin however I was extremely diligent with my protein intake from the get go.  Good luck with this!!!

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Tracy D.
on 7/9/13 11:22 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nancy - I was so freaked out about the hair loss thing that I almost backed out of the surgery.  I already have fine, thinning hair and if it starts coming out in bunches there will be nothing for me to do except get a wig or some hair pieces.   Fortunately, I have a good friend in Milwaukee who is the wig mistress for the Pabst Theater.  She can produce miracles and offered to make me a fraupe (a toupe for women) if I need it.  :-) 

I'm doing what I can (biotin, shampoo, hair cut, scalp massage, etc.) and have come to a place of acceptance that "this too shall pass".  I was sleeved on May 24th so I haven't hit that 3-4 month mark yet, but I know that stressing out over it will only make it worse. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

thinathart
on 7/9/13 11:48 pm

I made it to month 4 before mine started to fall out.  I was hoping I was one of the lucky ones.  I did the biotin, nioxin products, pretty much everything anyone said "could" help.  Nothing helped.  It's slowed way down now.  I probably lose 10 strands when I wa****  I had a lot of hair, I'd say I lost a 1/3.  Only myself and my hair stylist can really tell.  I do have some regrowth already starting.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views