Does insurance pay for protein

Joy M.
on 7/17/13 10:35 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Does anyone know if blue cross blue shield reimburse for protein pre op or post op? I'm just curious. I just bought some at the pharmacy n it was expensive. 122$ just curious if because its "required" they would at least pay for the 2 week pre op n 2 week post op. I know it's wishful thinking just curious.

pineview01
on 7/17/13 10:39 am - Davison, MI

My DD BCBS did not pay for it.  My insurance didn't pay for it.  They consider it food and you have to have food anyway.  I only paid less than $200 for the protein kit for 4 week, 2 pre - 2 post surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Keith L.
on 7/17/13 10:49 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Check out these guys, if anyone would know, they will be able to tell you:

http://insurenutrition.com

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Debra M.
on 7/17/13 1:46 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Was lucky to get them to pay for the surgery.

howarli
on 7/17/13 11:26 pm - MD

My company did because they give me $2500 toward my deductible which could be used for co-pays, & prescriptions.  I had my doctor write a letter that said the vitamins  and protein were medically necessary.  So I was able to pay them and then get reimbursed.   I have a new insurance through my husband now........so I 'm not reimbursed anymore. But since you mentioned this I'm going to call BCBS to see if their is a way to be reimbursed since with the letter from the doctor it is like a prescription medication that I need.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 159 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 454 views