Need a little patience and encouragment

hopefulop
on 7/17/13 2:44 am

So, I am STILLLLL waiting for my insurance approval (after the first appeal.)  I understand that I am kind of at the bottom of the pile right now since there are people needing to be approved before the end of July but GOOD LORD!!! The appeal was sent in on May 24 and was said to take 30 business days.... That was over approximately 2 weeks ago and I am losing my ever loving mind! I'm just so worried I will be denied again and the suspense is killing me.  BTW I qualify.  40 BMI and the beginnings of sleep apnea.  Can anyone tell me if they HAVE to answer me in a certain amount of time or give me some stories of your close calls with being approved so that I can hang on to the hope of it?  The only reason I post this is that I realized when I got to work today that I had basically resigned myself to the thought that it's not going to happen and I want this more than anything before.  This is the first purchase over $1000 that I have made since being on my own and I am prepared to spend the money, in fact I have it saved up BUT THEY HAVE TO APPROVE ME!!!!!  Sorry for the rambling.  Anything will help :D Thanks, you guys are great.

band2sleeverevision
on 7/17/13 2:48 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Get your summary plan description out because there typically is a time limit they have to respond to an appeal.  Mine says they must respond in writing within 30 calendar days. Yours may have a different timeframe.

Why did they deny?

hopefulop
on 7/17/13 3:29 am

Because my initial weight was too low but it was the day after we spent all of a hot long day at the zoo and I was dehydrated and on the lower end of my weight fluctuation.  It took me two more weigh ins to catch a high fluctuation.  I do qualify but it (was) by the hair on my chinny *****hin.  I have since gained more weight :(.

Joy M.
on 7/17/13 3:44 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I called them every day. It could have taken a few months because I initially got denied all because the doctor didn't submit all my medical necessary paper work. So by calling it brought it to their attention and when there was a problem I had the corrected paperwork faxed that day. It only took mine a week because I was the squeaky wheel. My doctors office even told me they process people's things faster if u are the "squeaky wheel." I was never rude the lady at the insurance even gave me her extension and was so sweet. She basically took "the case" to avoid snail mail and they faxed the approval to the docs office. Good luck I know not everyone want to call their insurance but that's what they get paid for is to help you. Don't be afraid to utilize their services. I use to work customer service they delight in helping you.

band2sleeverevision
on 7/17/13 4:08 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I agree with Joy....get on the phone to them and be extra special nice.  Ask them to explain how to appeal....

Pamela B.
on 7/17/13 5:26 am - AR
VSG on 08/14/15

folks are probley on vacation too....WISH YOU LUCK !!!

VSG on 06/12/13
I was denied the first time for a similar reason (I was either underfat or overtall- you pick). Eventually, I won. I hired Walter Lindstrom's office to help me there.

Who sent the appeal? Was it you or your doc? Are you sure it was received? I ask because one of mine was sent by the due date, but was never received. It took a bit of sleuthing to track it down.

What I noted was that they are strict on rules for the patient to respond but are not very clear on what to expect from them.

My recommendation is that you follow up with them and if you don't get any satisfaction, then follow up with an advocate.

And, you wanted our stories?

I have a blog post about the whole ordeal here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/atl_gadget_grrl/blog/2013/07/18/insurancebackstory

The very best of luck to you...

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 352 views