I'm scared that I'm gonna be that one it doesn't work for

dreamslim
on 7/22/13 11:39 am - San Antonio, TX

So I'll be two weeks post op tomorrow and I've been doing good so far with the weight loss. My concern is that I'm still on my three weeks post op liquid diet and I'm starting to feel hungry almost to the point of starving. I drink my water and my shakes hoping it will fill me up and it does, but then a few hours later I start to get the starving feeling again and I so badly just want to get something to eat. Is this normal? I thought your weren't supposed to feel hungry any more. I'm afraid that I have an ineffective sleeve and that when I start eating normally again that I'm gonna be eating the same amount as I was before and then I'm not gonna lose any weight and this is all gonna be for nothing.  I think apart of it is just my pessimistic self coming out and it being hard to believe that there will be a day when I won't have a weight problem, but I'm honestly worried that I'm working with a defective sleeve. Please let me know if I'm just being crazy

mhogans
on 7/22/13 11:45 am
VSG on 05/28/13

It's all in your head. Just make sure you drink water through out the day and sip sip sip!!! Try and take about 15 to 30 mins when drinking your protein sip sip sip!! Your sleeve will not be ineffective. I can tell you that I can only eat about 2 oz and no more then 4 oz at any given time. Your sleeve will tell you when to stop. You will know some get hiccups or the feeling that they are going to burp or a number of things, everyone is different.

The only time I have stalled is when Aunt Flow comes to visit. I don't gain anything and I don't lose anything either. I go a whole week at the same weight. 

You will be okay!!!

Stay Strong,

Michelle

"For every pound dropped it's one less pound to worry about in my future."

Cindy B.
on 7/22/13 12:07 pm, edited 7/22/13 1:14 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

At only 2-4 weeks after surgery whenever I thought I was hungry I was actually thirsty. Keep something to drink with you at all times and keep on sipping. It really does help. For some of us the hunger doesn't go all the way away. Even at 9 months out from my surgery it really takes very little to fill me up or to satisfy my hunger. I really hope this helps ease your worries. I'm sure you have a fully functioning "sleeve" and I hope you have great success with it.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Joy M.
on 7/22/13 12:10 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I haven't had my surgey yet but I hope I can encourage you a little. Physically most of your stomach is gone, I'm sure that if u eat like u used to ur body will be in pain. From what I've read the sleeve will work in the way that if you force more than ur sleeve will hold ur new tummy will most likely tell u. However this is my fear too because I get weak n shaky and a headache if I'm too hungry. So ur not the only one with that same fear. Ill be joining ur band wagon in 2 weeks so we can swap stories. Good luck!

mickeymantle
on 7/22/13 12:43 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13
Hunger mightalso be acid
You mayneed to change your. Ppi

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

lunarose
on 7/22/13 12:49 pm - Newhall, CA

I think everyone has those thoughts. You are probably not feeling hunger you may want to try some antacids to see if that helps. I only feel hunger when I am stressed like sitting in a dentist chair. Once you progress to food things do change but at this point  and for the next few months your stomach is still healing nerves were cut.  I would get hiccups as a signal I was full because I won't feel full I'd go from nothing to nauseate in one bite. That is why it is so important to weigh and measure things early on. Your sleeve is not defective breathe and relax and enjoy the journey.

Jennifer L.
on 7/22/13 2:35 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

That explains my sudden onset of hiccups lately!! They suck... haha but now at least I have a reason!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

defygravity
on 7/22/13 1:26 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

I am in the same boat as you... only a day behind.  I'm on a modified liquid diet, in that I can also have cheese, cottage cheese, deli chicken or turkey, fish and eggs.  I have tried everything and nothing has given me any problem or has made me feel full.  I'm not sure what satisfied feels like since we eat so little.  I had 1/2 c of scrambled eggs today and nothing.  The only thing I've ever felt is if I drink too fast, I will get a pain in my sides or under my chestbone.  I also get hungry, like stomach growling hungry, about 2-3 hrs after I've eaten.  I feel like you, that my sleeve isn't working.  I know I just have to give it time, but it's hard.  I'm still trying to figure it all out but I feel either like I'm doing something wrong or my sleeve isn't working.  

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

PrincessPR
on 7/22/13 2:00 pm
VSG on 12/17/13
I've seen a lot of people mention after being newly sleeved the hunger pangs they experienced was caused by some mild reflux. Did you have any problems with that before?? I'm obviously no expert but it might be something to ask your Dr about.... Good luck!

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

dreamslim
on 7/22/13 2:24 pm - San Antonio, TX

Thanks for the feed back. now that people are starting to mention acid reflux I'm really starting to think that it is part of the problem because I have been dealing with it a little bit since i've been sleeved.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views