Iron and calcium not taken together y?

Joy M.
on 7/29/13 3:47 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Does anyone know y u can't take iron and calcium together?

themexcellentone
on 7/29/13 3:50 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

The iron interferes with the absorption of the calcium. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Jackie T.
on 7/29/13 5:04 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I have always heard you should take them at least two hours apart.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/13 5:29 am

As it was put to me, both calcium and iron utilize the same uptake receptors. When taken together calcium wins and pushes the iron aside and the iron does not get absorbed. Rule of thumb because of that is to take iron at least two hours after any type of calcium (supplement, milk, dairy products, etc...).

Makes me wonder why so many of the multivitamins have both iron and calcium in them. Doesn't make sense to me.

califsleevin
on 7/29/13 9:21 am - CA
On July 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:

As it was put to me, both calcium and iron utilize the same uptake receptors. When taken together calcium wins and pushes the iron aside and the iron does not get absorbed. Rule of thumb because of that is to take iron at least two hours after any type of calcium (supplement, milk, dairy products, etc...).

Makes me wonder why so many of the multivitamins have both iron and calcium in them. Doesn't make sense to me.

On the multis, I suspect that it is part marketing - so they can call themselves "complete" - and part that their doses are low enough that they don't completely crowd each other out. The Costco multis that I have here only have 200mg of calcium, which is about 1/3 of the typical amount that we can absorb at one time (though they list 18mg or 100% RDA of iron.) The other factor in this is that the forms that they use probably aren't the more absorbable forms (like calcium carbonate rather than citrate) so it probably isn't such a big deal, particularly if you consider that whatever calcium and iron in the multi is "lost" and take those as needed on your own schedule.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views