River Cruise in Oct

wkeener
on 8/5/13 7:06 am - TX

How will I be able to eat all those courses they serve before I get sick . If you have been on a cruise you know what large meals they serve you for your three meals  what am I going to do ? I am 2 months out 6/12/13 sleeved and will only be 4 1/2 months out when we leave on vacation . Anyone been there done that???

claimmaster
on 8/5/13 9:41 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I don't believe there is a rule that you have to clean your plate when you're on a cruise.  Eat what you should and leave the rest.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Calking
on 8/5/13 10:53 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Just ask for smaller portions when you order if possible.  Else if you are traveling with someone then pick off of that plate what you might want since portion sizes are so big.  This would be really good if traveling with more than one person and you took a little off of each plate.  

Also you could go with the idea of a doggie bag.  You might be able to eat some of it later on if you were to get hungry again.

Just some thoughts.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

MuttLover
on 8/5/13 9:13 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I can't wait to hear all about it!  Please share ALL details, since I'll be vacationing vicariously!

I went on a cruise (Regent, so really good food!) in the Mediterranean about three weeks before my surgery.  So while I hadn't been sleeved, I was cognizant of my eating. Here's my recommendation:

1. Ask then to plate only what you will eat.  If at breakfast, you only want one egg, or an egg white omelet made with 1 egg, tell them.  They will do it, or will come very close.  

2. For mulit-course meals -- look at what's being offered and skip courses that don't appeal or support your plan,  For example, if there is a consomme course, just skip it.  Although, if service is slow, there could be enough time for the broth and then your food to digest!  LOL!

3. Many cruise lines are prepared for dietary restrictions.  If the meal comes with a starch, ask them not to serve the starch.  If the portion of meat is large -- ask them in advance if they can only prepare a half portion -- or a child's size portion for you.

4.  You can always have the sauces on the side.  

By 4.5 months, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you can eat.  So order what is reasonable for you.  You can contact the cruise line now, and find out what options they have that low fat, etc.  I know on Regent, they have dishes marked "spa" or something like that, to indicate they are made specifically to address calorie/fat concerns -- usually they were broiled chicken or fish. 

Really, it will not be a problem.  Go, have fun!  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

wkeener
on 8/5/13 11:47 pm - TX

Thanks for the great answers  . This is going to be a River Cruise down the Rhine River in Germany and we are so looking to seeing Germany I have been on cruises before but this one stops at 8 ports along the Rhine and we can see lots and get a lot of walking in . 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views