I opened the envelope and...

Miss150
on 8/8/13 11:34 am

Summer vacation is over (sigh), and school has begun again for me (my 51st  first day of school- when am I going to grow up!?)  anyways, on the last day of school in May, I wrote down some summer goals related to this journey we are all on- some weight related, others exercise - still others personal growth related.  I put the paper in an envelope and set it under the pencil tray in my top desk drawer.  Nine (oh, so short) weeks later I find myself looking at the envelope and thinking that this is the first time I have ever had the courage to put in writing a goal that I really intended to manifest into reality-  most of the time, my words were pipe dreams- just words- ment nothing except wishful thinking...This summer was different!  I opened the envelope- #1 loose 15 pounds (I lost 21) #2 walk 4 miles a day, 5 days a week (and, yes I did). #3 develop a resistance training program using resistance bands and kettle bells (oh, well, guess I have something to look forward to doing this fall)...  What was the difference this time around?  Sure, the sleeve helped, but it was more than that.  I've actually developed some perserverance , self  discipline and mad dog determination to see this through.  This  time I'm. Going to do it, and having done it, I determine to do whatever it takes to  maintain   a healthy lifestyle.  I'm so close I can taste it...so close it's getting scary ( but that's another topic entirely ).....

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

jenlaur1
on 8/8/13 11:54 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

good for you!!  Sounds like you're doing what needs to be done to continue on your weight loss journey and to maintain that loss.  I hope I can do the same (surgery date is Aug 19).  

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

TexasTerritory
on 8/8/13 12:08 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am impressed
VSG on 06/12/13
Good for you! What a neat activity.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

71dart
on 8/8/13 8:47 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Feels good, doesn't it? Success builds more motivation

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/13 4:13 am

I read this post last night, but couldn't comment (stupid iPad...). I think it's wonderful that you managed to meet your goals. I will encourage you to embark on a resistance training program. I'm not sure if you are aware of the research findings for weight loss and exercise, so here goes:

Weight loss with  no exercise - you can expect that 33% of the weight you lose will be muscle mass.

Weight loss with cardio exercise only - you can expect that 22% of the weight you lose will be muscle mass.

Weight loss with cardio and weight training - you can expect that only 3% of the weight you lose will be muscle mass.

Protein and strength training are extremely important during weight loss. Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but you'll be better in the long run if you do it.

Congratulations on doing so well this summer!

Miss150
on 8/9/13 4:42 am

Thanks for the data.  The stats certainly encourage the use of weight training!  I know that what was resistance/cardio by virtue of schlepping my great weight  around is no longer  the case- thus a true need to do it.  The PE teacher is going to help me develop a plan I can work with.  Unlike walking/slogging (my best effort as jogging) which I like to do, weights will be something I do because I need to.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views