I can't eat anything

Joy M.
on 8/10/13 10:49 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm in so much pain and restriction I can't even force water. I'm 4 days post op n gaged trying to force even a drink of smoothy. I feel like I'm gonna starve to death. Please tell me this goes away I want to be skinny but not die of malnutrition. 

themexcellentone
on 8/10/13 10:58 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Focus on fluids not food. You don't want to get dehydrated and end up back in the hospital. Have you tried sucking on sugar free popsicles?

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

shelly1958
on 8/10/13 11:51 am - NH

I am ten days out and I was where you are at day four. Everyday gets so much better than the last. I went back to work 7 days out. I am a bit tired but you will feel so much better in just a few days. Hang in there it is only a few days out of your life. Tiny sips even if you get a few drops down its a good thing. Now 8oz of protein drink is doable over 30 min span. Hang in there it will get better. Not perfect just better.

Michelle Alexander

beagal70
on 8/10/13 12:11 pm - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with
I am struggling to get all my liquids in...I find that diluted grape juice goes down best bu****er not as well....the pops taste too sweet...my pain has turned to soreness unless I sneeze which feels like I am going to rupture something....each sip is tiny maybe 7ccs each. Hoping tomorrow goes better.
katym
on 8/10/13 12:18 pm - PA

Hi Joy M,

1) Do not panic, it definitely does get better (pretty quickly in most cases!)

2) Your sleeve can be very swollen in the first week or 2 after surgery so even a smoothie could be too thick to go down comfortably. I think this is why many programs suggest a week of clear liquids right after surgery. 

3) Someone else suggested sugar free popsicles. That is a great idea.

4) In addition to the popsicles I found varying temperatures very useful in the early days. When a normal swallow of water seemed too much I often  found it easier to sip a warm liquid like Unjury Chicken Soup flavor protein or herbal tea.

5) Liquid is more important than exact amount of protein at this stage, but get in whatever protein you can.

6)  When you first go into ketosis it can mess with your senses of taste and smell for a few days. You might want to have some unsweetened protein powder available whether savory like the Chicken Soup flavor or unflavored.I know it sounds crazy, but there were a few days I remember thinking that I could smell artificial sweeteners from a room away. I literally had to hold my nose to swallow some Isopure without gagging. 

It is no fun to feel bad but you are on your way to a healthier you. Persevere and you will see changes soon. All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

sarah G.
on 8/10/13 1:48 pm
VSG on 10/10/13
Katy, I may want to hire you to come hang with me when I have my surgery done! You are an awesome voice of reason and calm. I'm panic and chaos! Lol
Sarah

HW 267 Consult W 260 SW 255 CW 227   Goal 135   

SuzyNZ
on 8/10/13 2:02 pm, edited 8/10/13 8:58 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I had nothing but vegetable broth, water, diluted cranberry juice and Popsicles for the first 3 weeks. Not dead from starvation!

It's your head that thinks you're hungry, not your body. It has plenty of fat reserves to munch on in the meantime.

But drinking is important, so just focus on clear fluids at the moment. Everything else can wait and you will be just fine!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Nancybefree
on 8/11/13 2:43 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Have you called your surgeon???

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

hollykim
on 8/11/13 7:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
If u truly can't force even water down, you could have a stricture. You should call ur surgeon ASAP.

You won't starve to death as you have plenty of stored fat for your body to break down but severe dehydration can be life threatening. Don't delay... Call ur surgeon NOW.

Gl n keep us posted.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views