Sip? How much is a sip?

Shamrocks241
on 8/10/13 4:47 pm - CA

I'm only two days post op and trying to figure out how much to drink, when I sip it feels like I could take more but I don't want to take too much and feel sick.  On other side of that coin, I know I'm not getting anywhere near as liquid in as i should... does anyone have suggestions? Can you tell me how it would feel if I drink too much? Thank you very much

Highest wt - 252, 1 weeks pre op - 247, day of surgery 235, goal 150

Akidd1012
on 8/10/13 5:12 pm - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

I did the whole sipping thing a lot at first. But after about a week I started taking real drinks instead. I found that I had less gas that way. I am two weeks post op. I am now drinking with a straw because I get more fluids that way. My PA said it was ok that I used one as long as I was comfortable with it. I can take big drinks now. 

Tracy D.
on 8/10/13 9:32 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

For me a sip was anywhere from 1/2 to 1 oz. of water at a time.  That worked for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Miss150
on 8/10/13 10:25 pm

Bless your heart, sweetie!  The idea is just not to take in too much too fast.  Continue to work with it until you find what is comfortable.  As long as  your tummy feels ok, you are fine.  You really cannot hold more liquid in your stomach than you should- it goes through too fast.  I applaud you for being mindful about what is going in- this attitude will serve you well, but as far as liquids are concerned- continue to sip,sip,sip, and work your way up as the weeks go by.  Easy does it all day long.  Smiles and health to you today!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

LooLee
on 8/10/13 11:25 pm

I was given a dosage cup when I left the hospital and told to drink one to two ounces every twenty minutes. I carried a timer around for the first week to help me remember - it was the only way to make sure I got all the fluids I needed in a day. One month out and it still takes me all morning to drink my protein shake. I find if I don't go slow, I feel very gassy. Good Luck :)

Deckeriv
on 8/10/13 11:31 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

1/2 oz to 1 oz if probably about right per sip. It should take you 15 minutes to take in 4 oz. That will allow the liquid to pass through to your intestines. At that rate, you will feel like you are sipping all day long. When your swelling goes down, in about a month, it will be easier to drink more per sip.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Shamrocks241
on 8/11/13 4:44 am - CA
Thank you everyone for replies. I'm feeling better everyday and I don't want to mess that up. So what I get from what all of you said is that if I drink too fast ill either get gassy or a tummy ache? Is this right? I had dry heaves in hospital and I'm so afraid to throw up, but my husband is more concerned that I am not getting enough fluid in me.

Thanks again,

S

Highest wt - 252, 1 weeks pre op - 247, day of surgery 235, goal 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views