Two steps forward one step back.

Joy M.
on 8/18/13 1:54 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm almost 2 weeks out and I think I had lost 20 pounds then yesterday the scale went back up 5 pounds. Although I haven't pooped since before surgery and yesterday was the first time I could get a whole protein smoothy down. It took a few hours but I don't regret it. That's the only way I'm going to get my vitamins in. I've felt dizzy and I know it's because I'm not getting my vitamins in. I'd rather loose weight slower if I means I'm not malnurishing myself. The last thing I want is my teeth to fall out and all my muscle mass gone as my weight loss. It's hard to know what "real weight loss" is real. Oh well I see my doc tomorrow about the constipation. 

claimmaster
on 8/18/13 2:08 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I know how hard this is.  I'm up and down and up and down and up and down.  You're at a point where you're just trying to get in protein and fluids.  It does get easier, but each stage has it's challenges.

Taking care of that constipation should help (although I had a huge BM yesterday and still gained 2 pounds this morning).  Sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense, but it is what it is.  Time is our friend!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

HappyGigi
on 8/18/13 2:10 am - FL

Totally normal.........I lost 20 pounds (including my one-week pre-op diet) right away and then stayed there for 3 weeks. Your body is adjusting. Going to the bathroom is an issue for most when drinking the high protein shakes and smoothies. My doctor told me to take Miralax every day and it works like a charm! I'm three months out and still do the Miralax when I've had a protein shake. Also, the "smooth move" tea works well also for me!

Are you getting in your water and have you check your blood pressure? I got dizzy early on and my blood pressure had dropped so I had to go off of my BP medicine and it's been fine ever since!

Good luck....you are doing great...

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

tysmom01
on 8/18/13 2:41 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Oh no! I hope the doctor can help you tomorrow. I know the constipation has to be making you feel icky. I'm only 6 days out and have been having regular (even though very loose due to all fluids) BMs for about 3 days. My doctor cleared me to take my gummy vitamins when I left the hospital as long as I chewed them thoroughly and it didn't upset my stomach (doing good so far). Have you tried those? Prayers for you to feel better! 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Jackie T.
on 8/18/13 3:02 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

There are things like Milk of Magnesium (MOM) or Miralax that you can take to help with the constipation.  You are just two weeks out so make sure you are getting all of your fluids in.  Protein is important but getting water in is just as important.  If you are getting dehydrated, it will slow your weight loss down, you retain water (5 lbs), it plays a role in your constipation and could also explain why you are dizzy.  In the first weeks you are usually given goals and that is just what they are, goals to strive for.  Getting your protein in is important to help with healing and keeping your hair, etc but you may lose your hair no matter what you do. I take biotin and there is controversary on whether it helps or not but my nails are definitely growing faster and stronger than before the surgery and from months 4-7 my hair was falling out but it has really slowed down now.  I didn't find out about the biotin until my 4th month or I would have started sooner.  Talk to your doctor and see what his/her advice is.  Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

MSSEXXC74
on 8/18/13 3:34 am
Handle the constipation. You don't want to have to have surgery to get unimpacted like I did n 2000. Sucks AZZ literally.
LLovesMac
on 8/18/13 12:30 pm
VSG on 08/06/13 with

My doctor suggested mirlax added to my routine when needed.  I hope you feel better.

L

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 160 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 432 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 454 views