Protein Shakes

mrs_sleon
on 8/20/13 2:07 pm - NV
VSG on 09/09/13

I need some guidance and advice. My pre-op is on 09/04. I'm sure the nutritionst will talk about protein shakes etc, etc....... I want to get a head start and start trying some protein shakes before I get sleeved. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on gigantic tubs of protein powder when I know I can get sample size. Any suggestions on where I can start shopping for protein drinks with out spending a whole lot? What should look for? How many grams of carbs, sugars, protein, etc. etc.....Please Help. Oh by the way surgery date is 09/09. Thank You.

MsVonne
on 8/20/13 2:14 pm - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

Hello,

First of all my surgery date is 8/28/13 and my doctor put me on Unjury protein powder which is an high quality protein and it taste great believe it or not.  You can order it at www.unjury.com they have an sample box you can order.  It is low in sugars and carbs give it a try.  Good luck to you on your new life!!  angry

LaVonne

fancygirl73
on 8/20/13 2:30 pm
VSG on 08/15/13

Samples are the way to go. Many peoples taste buds shift after surgery so even if you like or can tolerate something now, it may be a different story after surgery. I myself was able to tolerate milk based products better pre-surgery. Many websites offer sample packs. Some samples are free, some you only pay shipping and some are a good variety for a reasonable price. Here are a few sites that come to mind: Bariatric Advantage, Vitalady, Bariatric Fusion, Chike Nutrition, Bariatric Choice, My Bariatric Pantry, and Unjury. I would taste test the samples both before and after, then buy the big tub.

HW 379 / Consult 348 / SW 330 / CW 298 / Doc GW 180 / My GW 165

Keith L.
on 8/20/13 3:08 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My advice would be to not rush into them. Your tastes will change significantly between now and then and post op will be even different. You will have plenty of time to learn to hate them later. If you want a good protein drink for now to help you toward your weight loss goal try a smoothly with Greek yogurt, vanilla almond milk (the unsweetened will be your friend post op), blueberries and maybe som all natural almond butter.

my bigger advice to you would be to hit the gym and not the treadmill. Use your body weight and ability to eat right now to pack on as much muscle as you can before you hit pre-op for two reasons, #1 more lean muscle burns more calories and #2 during your pre-op diet and the couple weeks post-op you do lose muscle mass. You can minimize that by building muscle now. My prescription for you right now would be oatmeal and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Protein shake before and after each workout, lots of chicken, broccoli, and brown rice, some black beans, lots of yogurt and you will lose a tone of fat and build muscle. For your workout, squats, lunges, bench presses, dead lifts, curls, pull downs. Basically work your biggest and most beneficial muscle groups. No cardio except for a daily 30-60 min walk.

If you did this you would have a huge jump start on your journey and I would put your odds of success much higher than others that didn't do this. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

A. Kondrlik
on 8/20/13 9:36 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

syntrax also has sample packs, they are tasty and have the nutrition you need.  Just google syntrax

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

justpete
on 8/20/13 9:49 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

get samples

syntrax nectar + matrix and others in single serving/small size

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/Bariatric_Protein_Samples_s/35.htm

http://www.chikenutrition.com/chike-variety-pack.html

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

The_True_KayD
on 8/20/13 11:22 pm

I am starting my first phase of loosing weight pre-op. My insurance company needs 6 mos of weight loss. So taking the time to prepare. Thanks for the info on getting samples. My support sleevers told me that your taste does change after surgery. Having all different protein mixes will be great! Saving this information in my WLS journal! This site is great! 

zra
on 8/21/13 12:27 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I started with samples and was glad I did. I found three protein powders that I liked pre-op (out of probably 20 I tried). Two of them I still liked post-op, but unfortunately one of them I can't stand now. Tastes do change after surgery. So, I think it's a good idea to get a baseline for yourself and to get used to the preparation and drinking of shakes, but don't go buy a whole vat of anything because you might not like it very much after surgery.

HW: 363  SW: 340  

mrs_sleon
on 8/21/13 2:29 am - NV
VSG on 09/09/13

Thanks for all the valubale info! I appreciate it!

PegD
on 8/21/13 11:09 am

I am now 6 days post op - VSG on 8/15, discharged 8/16, and was shopping at the mall on 8/17.  I had stocked up on lots of protein shakes (mostly Atkins brand), what I have found is that making my own is the way to go!  I use 16 oz skim milk (thats 16 gm protein), add a scoop of Pure Protein powder (23 gm protein) and one sleeve of most any Crystal Light type water flavoring, blend it, pour it over ice and it is fabulous. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 334 views