Popsicles Are My Savior

newnycvsg1
on 9/1/13 12:19 pm

I was VSGed on 8/20/13 and it's been a little bit of a rough journey.  I don't know if I just didn't choose the right brand, but I found whey protein isn't workng for me (though I love milk).  I'm also having head hunger like crazy and keep watching shows on food on the Food and Cooking Channels.  Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I am usually one who loves sweets, but I find now that the first phase of this diet is an overkill of sweet tastes.  The lack of texture or savory elements (broth ain't that savory even when you try to "supe" it up...none and every pun intended) is what I find most disheartening,

Alas there is one shining light in the Phase I firnament.  The brand Popsicle has a sugar-free namesake called Tropicals.  They're tart, they're sweet and they are only 15 calories each.  I use therm to satisfy my water quotient eating 4 at a time which gives me 6.6 ounces of liquid at 60 calories. 

On my plan, you have to try and eat foods that contain less than I believe 10 g of sugar per serviing.  These popsicles have what are called sugar alcohols, which I am sure equate to sugar.  Each pop has 2 g of these alcohols in it.  So even eating 4 I am only at 8 g of sugar.

I am so happy to have found these frozen gems.  The flavors are Hawaiian Pinapple, Tropica Orange, and Caribbean Fruit Punch.  My only reservation is that they are not as natural as I'd like them to be, but anything with a fake sugar is not that great anyway.  The saving grace is that they do not taste too artificial.

If you are struggling to get your daily allotment of 64 oz of water, put these in your  rotation. 

themexcellentone
on 9/1/13 12:40 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Take heart, this first phase is temporary.  You will eventually get to have savory things and things with texture.  You can make it through this part!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

newnycvsg1
on 9/1/13 1:08 pm

Thanks Themex.  I am trying to make it through.  All the best in your journey as well. :-)

DreamAngel3372
on 9/1/13 2:06 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the popsicles. When I feel like I just cannot handle another sip of water..I get a popsicle.

My favorite right now is SF banana..they come in a variety pack sold at WalMart..it's called Budget Saver and for a pack of 12 double pops..it is less than $2. The flavors are: blue raspberry, coconut, cherry, orange, grape, banana and I think there is lime.

Nice to have something other than the standard three: grape, orange, cherry.

When I go to the store tomorrow I am going to look for the SF Tropicals.

Keep your dreams alive. All things are possible for those who believe.

newnycvsg1
on 9/1/13 3:09 pm

Dream,

You are so lucky to live near a Walmart!  Those flavors sound awesome and the price even more so.  Hope you get a great deal on the Popsicle brand ones.  They are 20 to a package and I know I paid a premium for them here in NYC ($3.99...I hadn't even checked the price before getting them bcoz I needed them.)  Good luck in finding them and if you do, don't tell me how much you paid for them.......lol.

newnycvsg1
on 9/1/13 3:12 pm

Correction: I think it's 10 double pops to equal the 20 I said above.

ababenoit
on 9/2/13 2:56 pm - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
What brand? Is it the popcicles on the stick? How many carbs?i can't find any!

newnycvsg1
on 9/6/13 1:31 pm

Hi Ababe,

If you are asking about the Popsicle brand ones, they are 4g of carb per pop.  Is that OK?

Best,

NYCVSG

HW: 359 ; SW: 350.4; CW: 337.4: GW: 200 (forgot what my Doctor's GW for me is)

newnycvsg1
on 9/6/13 1:32 pm

And yes, they are on a stick.

Most Active