C25K, Bariatric Boot Camp and my PT released me for training. Oh joy.

MuttLover
on 9/2/13 9:41 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Well, I'm in that glorious, post-honeymoon phase of stalling, eating a little more, etc., Whine, whine.  So, I have decided to quit whining and finding excuses to avoid working out, and just focus on getting the rest of my weight off (about 20 pounds to "normal BMI" and another 10 pounds or so to be in the middle of normal). 

I've been going once a week to a Bariatric Boot Camp -- which is great!  It's led my a woman who has lost more than 100 pounds and specializes in exercise programs for bariatric patients and people new to exercise.  She is fabulous!  She is setting up a C25K program for bariatric patients and their friends, families in Baltimore, so I've signed up for the training and the 5K, and my husband and dog are joining me! (anyone interested -- message me, and I'll give you the info!)

My PT has released me for limited training (the tennis elbow is not progressing, but the hip and Achilles are doing well).  I met with the trainer yesterday, and she is putting together a plan for me and setting up regular reviews.

Now, the only problem is my attitude adjustment!  I am having a problem "embracing" the joy of exercise.  The general thinking is that I have had so many injuries that my mind  just equates exercise with injury!  So, I'll just have to be careful, and slowly work my way out of this stall and into enthusiasm!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Tracy D.
on 9/2/13 10:55 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

A bariatric boot camp sounds awesome!  I'm really excited for you as you work toward your 5K and make all these other exercise changes.   Hoping that your body heals and let's you start to enjoy the endorphin dump :-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Latse
on 9/2/13 11:52 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

I'm interested in how the boot camp and c25k are geared toward bariatric patients?  I guess it would be less intimidating doing those programs with other people who might not have a lot of exercise knowledge/endurance/skill.  In the beginning, I felt like I was a step behind in some cardio classes compared to "normal" people, and never would have dared do a boot camp class. 

I too have the last 20-30lbs to get off and have been sitting in a stall for the last 10 weeks.  Per my NUT I have adjusted my calorie intake (increased it, seems strange that more food would equal a loss). I also have added a c25k workout 3 times a week, along with my 2 1hr lap swims a week and a 1 hour cardio class.  I know I should be strength training but I hate weights with a passion. 

It isn't so much embracing the joy of exercise but coming to an agreement with yourself that what you want (goal weight) will not be as easily achievable without moving your body more.  Then you have to find things that help motivate you, I swim twice a week with a friend, our kids play and splash while we encourage each other and chit chat a little between laps. I run with my dog because he is such a better behaved dog after a really good run, and it decreases the guilt I have over kenneling him during the work day when I see that sloppy lab grin as we run. 

I'm not in the Baltimore area, but I sure don't have a problem cheering each other on!!

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

MuttLover
on 9/3/13 12:03 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  The Boot Camp only has bariatric patients in the class, so the leader is always quick to modify the activity for the individual, and make sure people don't injure themselves.  For people who are unable to easily get up and down, there are chairs for some to do the exercise in, and benches to help others get up and down out of of the floor.  When we do stations, she carefully watches how people are doing the exercise to make sure it's being done correctly. For step stuff -- the steps are set at various levels so people can use the one that works for them.  Overall, the class is similar to others at the regular gym -- but the group has a  common experience in fighting long-term obesity and having had WLS -- so you are surrounded by people who are coming from a similar background -- which provides a different kind of camaraderie.  So overall, I don't feel like I can't keep up with all these superfit women in tights (which is what my regular gym is full of!  LOL!)

For the 5K -- I expect most people will be walking it.  The training hasn't started yet (next week), and I think it will be walk, run intervals.  Or for me, probably walk, speed walk.  Overall, since it's just for bariatric patients (and friends.family), I expect it won't be as "competitive".  

So, we can cheer each other on!  These last 20-30 will probably take me as long as the first 80!  But you are so right -- at this point, the focus is on reaching the goal -- not so much about enjoying the journey!  LOL!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views