Help in choosing my surgery type ???

Robert H.
on 9/17/13 4:33 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

I am a 58 yr old male, current weight 380 lbs. Would like to loose 200 lbs and keep it off. Do not have to choose my surgery choice till the day before the operation which is Nov 26.13.  My surgeon is Dr. Christou from Montreal, my surgery choice is either the RNY bypass or the gastric sleeve.

I have posted this on the main board as well, as a newbie some members indicated it would be best to post on a few related forums.  Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

LessofRaven
on 9/17/13 4:42 am - San Jose , CA
VSG on 09/24/14

Its such a personal choice! I chose the sleeve because I was scared of malabsorbsion even if it meant losing a little less weight on average. I have a friend that chose RNY and shes rocking it! 

Sleeved! 9/24/2014 by Dr. Bhoyrul  SW: 265  CW:253

First Goal 10% (238.5) , Second Goal 25% (198.5), Finish line (150)  

claimmaster
on 9/17/13 4:45 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

You are going to find here people who love their sleeves.  Many have lost large amounts of weight...hundreds of pounds...with this technique.

I didn't want to deal with the malabsorbtion issues that come with the bypass, and I didn't like the idea of leaving a "blind" stomach behind.  With the sleeve, your appetite is lessoned, your intake is reduced, and you can still eat everything that you want to (or should!).

I'm only a couple of months out, but I couldn't be happier with my sleeve.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Sonya139
on 9/17/13 4:49 am - VA

I have spent months researching and for many months was sold on RNY until recentily. It is a personal decision and I have only a couple of weeks to decide and turn in the information. I did a search on the topic the other day and got more information because people ask this question very frequently. The search tab is at the top of the page to the right next to messages. I'm also going to read the book ""The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve" to help with the decision.   One of the authors have forums through WLSBoards.com. There are separate forums for RNY and Sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/13 5:58 am

I just went through making this decision myself. I ended up picking the sleeve scheduled for October 9. My decision was based on feeling creeped out about having my stomach that wasn't being used still inside my body, not wanting my organs rearranged, malabsorption issues and the flexibility of being able to take pills should i need them eventually

hope123
on 9/17/13 11:38 am, edited 9/17/13 11:38 am - MO

I was told some very helpful information when I met with doctors before deciding on my procedure. They said if their patient has Endocrine problems, like Diabetes or Thyroid disorders, and they have a sweet tooth and have a hard time staying away from pasta, then they often suggest the Gastric Bypass, because the Bypass offers those patients the "dumping" syndrome when they eat things they shouldn't, which is a reinforcement that (some) highly overweight people need in order to keep on track with their diet and not cheat.  He said without the "dumping" syndrome, some people will gain that weight back with the Sleeve (after time goes on), because the Sleeve won't give them that feeling when they cheat.

They said if a person does (not) have Endocrine problems, or Diabetes or Thyroid disorders, then they often suggest the Sleeve.

I thought that was very helpful, because everyone knows what kind of person they are, and if they feel they need the reinforcement.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views