Just had my first restaurant meal and it was a great experience!

Heather_Austin
on 9/18/13 3:04 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

So Sunday my husband and I went out for lunch while waiting for him to get an oil change.  Even though we went to a "healthy" bistro that prepares only fresh food, etc., there was NOTHING on the menu that I could eat on my soft food diet.  Most of the healthy food were salads and wraps and I can't have either.  However, I noticed that they offered Salmon as an add-on topper for some of their salads so I told the waitress I was on a strict diet and asked her to bring me grilled salmon without butter or oil and a few steamed green beans and carrots, which I noticed was the side item on the kids menu. 

The food came exactly as ordered and was delivered by the chef!  I was surprised but thanked him.  I found out that he was a nutrionist and that is when I told him I'd had sleeve surgery and couldn't eat lettuce yet.  He told me he had a lot of customers with lots of dietary constraints and it was no issue.  He even told me he had one lady that he had to weigh out all of the ingredients and then she even weighed it on her own scale! 

Anyway, I was nervous about eating out 3 weeks post op but it was fine!  Even though I could only have 2-3 oz of salmon and a few veggies, I packed the rest up for lunch the next day.

Lastly, my husband was SO relieved that we could actually go out like normal.  He didn't share with me because he didn't want me to cocern me, but he was so worried that we wouldn't be able to go out any more!  

Heather - Austin, TX

G5x5
on 9/18/13 3:24 am - VA

Salmon will always be a great go to food, even after you're cleared for solid foods.

Going out for restaurant meals and fast food was a major problem for me prior to surgery.  Because of that I've tried to avoid it as much as possible but there are still times when it can't be avoided.  So when it happens I always shop for seafood, especially the salmon.  However, lobster tails, shrimps and other fish can work just as well.

Congrats on finding something that worked for you.  Sounds like that bistro is due for some repeat business.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

linzeelee
on 9/18/13 3:26 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

That's awesome. I'm so glad you had a good experience!

I enjoy going out from time to time now. I enjoy the leftover, plus I can fit in the booths :)

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

claimmaster
on 9/18/13 3:36 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I haven't found eating out to be a problem at all.  There is always some sort of protein that I can get, or at the very least, some veggies.  So far I've eaten on plan except for once, when I ordered crispy tofu, which was an appetizer.  I didn't realize it was breaded.  I ate it anyway, and it was good.  I planned on throwing the rest of it away, but I stupidly took it home, where I had carb cravings from having eaten just that little bit of breading, and I ate all the rest of it.  That caused me even more carb cravings.  I've learned my lesson.  If it's not what I should be eating, it stays at the restaurant.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Cathy K.
on 9/18/13 3:39 am

that is so cool, last Friday I went out for dinner for my best friend Mom's BD she is 94, my Mom ordered baked fish and shared with me. It tasted so good. Just got to the next level of soft foods, and have enjoyed trying different foods. peppers and onions sauteed with chopped chicken, yum

Heather_Austin
on 9/18/13 8:14 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I'll be sticking with fish mostly or chicken when I can add that in.  I'll be staying away from restaurants as well and fast food is going to be on do not visit list.  I have to admit, my husband and I have visited a couple of fast food restaurants while we were away from home but I've had protein powder with me and he just ate in the car.  We did these stops out of necessity - now I know we can actually go in to a restaurant.  My husband isn't trying to loose weight but is trying to eat healthier and doesn't really like fast food.

Heather - Austin, TX

Irishnurse
on 9/18/13 8:30 am
DS on 04/17/13

I am happy you had a lovely experience!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Debra M.
on 9/18/13 11:02 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Another option when you move on to regular texture food is Mexican food restaurants. My husband and I order fajitas with double beans and no tortillas and no rice. We also do not get the chips or drinks. The fajita meats, beef, chicken and shrimp are wonderful and the left overs heat well.

Have fun eating out with your husband and congratulations for meeting the challenge and making good choices.

bdaycakegirl
on 9/18/13 11:13 am

What a great first experience. :D

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views