I'm losing weight, but can anyone tell?

Shamrocks241
on 9/19/13 5:10 pm - CA
So I'm only 5 weeks out and I have lost 26 pounds since my surgery, 38 since pre-op diet. I'm very happy when I look at the scale, but when I look in the mirror I don't feel that different. My mom keeps telling me how good I look, but no one else has said anything... can you really not tell that I've lost 38 pounds or do people not know what to say? Maybe its hard to notice because I'm still wearing the same clothes, granted they are falling off of me. Yesterday I realized that I can take off my pants without unbuttoning or unzipping them. LOL

Has anyone out there been through this?

Highest wt - 252, 1 weeks pre op - 247, day of surgery 235, goal 150

newmeki
on 9/19/13 5:36 pm - Saudi Arabia

I think that sometimes those around are not really sure what to say.  If they acknowledge our weight loss then they may feel that they were saying that we were fat before.  At one point, I feel like I lost too much weight but no one mentioned anything until I gained a little back, then they were very happy to say that I was too skinny before. I think it is just the comfort level people feel. But as long as you know, that is really all that matters.

HW 213, SW 187, GW 125 VSG 11/19/2010 BS 32 

Bufflehead
on 9/19/13 8:03 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I think you'll find that when you start wearing clothes that fit people will notice. A lot of people won't say anything for fear of being rude or saying the wrong thing, but people will definitely notice. Baggy clothes will definitely make you look bigger than you are and camouflage your weight loss.

Mlkpas
on 9/21/13 10:07 am - Pasadena, CA

I definitely agree with this.  Nobody noticed my loss for months and months, but then when I got clothes that fit, all of a sudden EVERYBODY was noticing. 

And BTW, be careful what you wish for.  I was annoyed when nobody noticed, and then I was annoyed when everybody was commenting on my loss!  LOL

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

SuzyNZ
on 9/19/13 8:05 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

It was about 70lbs before anyone noticed for me.  Don't worry, once people start noticing, you will get LOTS of comments.  Because weight is a sensitive issue, people often won't comment until it's completely obvious just in case they offend.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

cappy11448
on 9/19/13 8:42 pm

Congratulations on losing 38 pounds. And 26 pounds in five weeks is excellent.  You are really working that sleeve.

I also found it took a while before people noticed my weight loss.  I thought they'd start noticing at 50 pounds lost, but no one really noticed until I had lost close to 100 pounds.  But it didn't bother me.  I just figured, "they don't notice now, but they will soon enough".  And it was true.   I'm now at 130 pounds lost, and I am getting so many compliments. 

It also helped that I bought new clothes.  Those 5X clothes are now way too big.    Its wonderful.  I love my sleeve.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nmmsg
on 9/19/13 8:47 pm
VSG on 07/09/13
It takes awhile before people notice. When you put on the clothes that fit you will see a big difference. As long as you know and feel better, that is most important. I think we change in many ways after the surgery, inside and out. People will notice the difference.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

jenn227
on 9/19/13 10:53 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Once you start to feel comfortable with the loss and are able to get some clothes that fit, others will probably feel more comfortable saying something.  They may be afraid that you aren't TRYING to lose the weight!  Great job & congrats on how well you are doing!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

megan.sherman
on 9/19/13 11:47 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

I am so with you!  I have lost almost 40 lb pre surgery and hardly get anyone saying anything to me at all.  Someone even said, "Really?"  When I said I had lost close to 40 lb.  I guess the bigger you are, the longer it takes to notice.  I started at 337 and am now just breaking the 300 mark.

You have to pay attention to the little things like clothes getting looser, having an easier time standing up from sitting, less joint pain, the first time my 11 year old was able to put his arms all the way around me was a great one.

It also takes a while to get your brain to catch up to your body.  You still see yourself as big as you were when you started.  I looked in the mirror at the bariatric clinic bathroom and when I came out I told my husband that they must use fun house mirrors in the bathroom because I looked smaller than I usually do.  He said, "Did you ever think that it's not the mirror?  That you are actually smaller?"...never crossed my mind!

Compliments are great, they are excellent motivation but just remember why you are doing this.  Good luck!

Nikke2003
on 9/20/13 12:15 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Hang in there... it will happen. It took me probably 80ish lbs before people really started to notice... especially ones that didn't know I had surgery. Hell, I went to a family function in June and I had lost 130 lbs and nobody noticed. BUT, that side of the family is pretty oblivious... so whatever!

You're going to have the opposite problem at some point and if you don't like attention you better brace yourself! People say things to me all the time... I do like it... but most of the time I just wish they would stop at "You look great!" lol

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views