Anyone had VSG (or any WLS) at Ireland Army Hospital in Ft Knox

CJ S.
on 9/19/13 10:42 am
VSG on 01/09/14

I've had to switch from RNY to VSG and am trying to go through a Military Treatment Facility before taking another route. I'd love to hear from you guys - I really don't want to go through Tricare or another insurance cool

CJ Smith

“To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one, its society who’s ugly.”
Marilyn Monroe

lillingtonnc
on 9/21/13 8:22 am

i went thru tricare, my husband is retired, and expected civilian dr , and since tricare does not cove the sleeve i would be forced to have rny. to my surprise tricare referred me womack army hospital on fort bragg. i had my sleeve the 17th of this month and it didn't cost me anything except $25 copay for psych eval off post where everyone goes. do not regret it one bit. great care from nurses and my surgeon was great.

CJ S.
on 9/22/13 3:20 am
VSG on 01/09/14

That's awesome! Do you mind telling me the process(es) you went through with Ft Bragg? They told me it could be 4-6 wks - boy was I shocked! I've already gone through everything with the civilian doctor *****fused to perform RNY - been going through this WLS thing for over a year now and I'm so tired of waiting.

Whatever you feel comfortable sharing would be terrific~!

CJ Smith

“To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one, its society who’s ugly.”
Marilyn Monroe

lillingtonnc
on 9/22/13 6:41 am

from referral from my civilian pcm (july 5) to tricare since we are retired to surgery (sept 17). there was a huge turnaround in staff in bariatric dept the week after my initial seminar at womack or things would have been quicker. we lost long time bariatric coordinator,  the nutritionist last week and the person who helped out with everything. they pulled it together fairly quickly.

1.labs for all sorts of stuff and stool sample to test for h pylori  tested in 2 days, results took a week

2.complete physical from pcm   ( basically a letter from pcm saying they checked you out and you are cleared for surgery)

3.well womans exam with doctor nots and pap lab results

4.required psych eval

5.minimum of one support meeting

6.attend mass nutrition class, then have one on one with nutritionist

7. i am 56 so i had to turn in results of 2009 full cardiac workup

8.i had to turn in results of my oct 2012 mammogram

9.again,over 56, had to turn results of feb 2012 colonoscopy

10.had to turn in results of 2009 sleep study

even the surgeon was surprised i got my stuff together so fast. i have required tests when they are scheduled and i keep the paperwork scanned to my pc.

i had 11 days of high protein, low carb and fat (20g carb per day), the last 2 days clear liquids with no colon cleanse which was fine with me. i had one extra day of clear liquids because of surgeon having emergency surgery. the staff at womack was exceptional, all of them.i don't think i could have gotten better care anywhere. 

lillingtonnc
on 9/22/13 7:26 am

i did forget that people with other problems that i didn't have, such as asthma, previous blood clots and the like had to have other tests. i don't know since my medical history was well documented

Most Active