Surgery scheduled for Monday & I am sooo nervous!

KATHYL1
on 10/4/13 10:26 am
VSG on 10/07/13

I have only had one major surgery & that was an emergent appendectomy. I have wanted this for so long, but today I woke up a nervous wreck & it hasn't gotten much better through the day. I appreciate all the posts talking about your experiences. Was anybody else scared & considering postponing?  I know I want to have the surgery--just having doubts about my ability to do 2 more weeks of liquids. I have had a couple slips. Usually in the evening after a tough day. I know it is emotional eating, not hunger. Any advice would be appreciated.  

Anneg_11414
on 10/4/13 11:21 am - Buchanan, MI

Kathy,  In reading your post  can totally understand the nerves.  If you have made it this far, you can definately take the last step to the start of the new year.  My surgery isn't scheduled until January but I am sure I will be as nervous as you are today.  Good luck and I look forward to following your journey that starts on Monday.

pineview01
on 10/4/13 11:28 am - Davison, MI

You can do this!  It is normal to be scared and think of postponing.  Almost all do.  I had the lap band and had it removed, I still went thru this the weeks before.  It was even worse than with the band as I had failed WLS once (I really didn't the band failed me and many others but this was my thoughts.)

As far as the liquid diet.... it gets better after following it for 3/4 days.  When I got my band, I caved once between the 1st and 2nd week and had about 1 oz of plain grilled chicken breast.

Stay strong and don't postpone, you would just have to go thru this twice.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

butterfly3851
on 10/4/13 11:29 am - TX
You wouldn't be human if you were not nervous! This surgery is so worth it- hang in there!! Try to use some of that nervous energy- I ended up really working on cleaning out my pantry, refrigerator & closet the weekend before my surgery!!

The start of a new approach to life is just around the corner!

Good luck to you!

KATHYL1
on 10/4/13 11:53 am
VSG on 10/07/13
Thank you all for the support. I have been cleaning this evening--thinking of painting the master bathroom tomorrow. Anything to keep busy.
cappy11448
on 10/4/13 12:35 pm

Hi Kathy,

It is common to be nervous before surgery.  Hang in there.  The surgical procedures these days are much better than they used to be.  I was so scared of the surgery, and it was so uneventful.  I had little pain - I didn't need anything stronger than tylenol for the pain.  I asked for lots of anti-nausea meds and I had virtually no nausea.  Any gas pain I had was relieved by shifting positions.  So try not to worry.  Most likely you'll do fine, and the benefits are so huge. 

In the big picture, its probably more dangerous to remain obese than to have the surgery.  Also, the dieting will be easier post surgery because the surgery changes your digestive system in so many ways.  The hardest part for me was the pre-surgery liquid diet. 

Hang in there.  You'll be so glad you did when the weight starts falling.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LtWeight
on 10/4/13 12:41 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

I felt the exact same way until I had my final pre op appointment with my surgeon.  He reassured me and was able to ease my nerves and told me no one was more concerned with my outcome that he was.  He really did help calm those nerves.  I was still nervous but not quite as much.  I was the first surgery that Monday morning and again he came in and reassured me, held my hand, and made me feel at ease.  He was right about my pain level, how I would feel after surgery, and even right about being able to drink the liquid lortab (I had always had a problem with the pills making me sick). 

Part of the pre op packet from my surgeons office was a cd that really helped a lot.  It included music at a beat to help get your heart beat to a calm beat, visualizations, etc.  I listed to that and ocean waves to help calm me too.

I think everyone feels that way to some degree.  It was only the morning of the surgery that I knew I was going through with it for sure!  LOL.  I had kept telling myself I could back out if I needed to.

KATHYL1
on 10/5/13 12:50 am
VSG on 10/07/13
I like the idea of the CD. I'll go through my music today and find something calming. I'll also share with my surgeon's office.
MollyWobbles
on 10/4/13 2:36 pm
VSG on 10/07/13

Kathy,

I am also scheduled for Monday. I had a brief moment while I was in the car today with no one to distract me where I to wondered if I was doing the right thing and if I would regret my decision. However, like someone already said, I think the risk of being obese are much greater than the risk of surgery. I have just tried to keep myself occupied and not alone too much. I am sure we will both do well. angry

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views