I CANT WAIT #SOEXCITEDANDIJUSTCANTHIDEIT

pamiej
on 10/10/13 8:42 am

There is no specific time frame after the 12 weeks of classes., it depends on the individual's health situation.My last class was the middle of August.  I just got cleared from the doctor and physc yesterday.  They are supposed to schedule me with the surgeon within 3 weeks.   Then you wait for a surgery date.      I don't know which area you are in but I have heard that there is a waiting list for surgery in my area. When I went to the support group (another requirement) some people had gotten scheduled right away and some waited 6 months.  I have heard of people getting scheduled 2 weeks after the last class if everything was done and the surgeon gives the green light.

Kaiser will not do anything until you complete all of the classes.  The second week of class you have to have blood tests, ekg and chest xray done  plus your age appropriate routine screenings that are due must be done (PAP etc.)by the last class. You have to correct all vitamin deficiencies before surgery.  They also want to see you lose some weight during the 12 weeks to see if you are willing to make the lifestyle changes necessary to make this work.  They say 10% but I lost 8 lbs and they were happy with that.  And before you can move on you have to have all comorbidities under control.  For example, if you are diabetic they want to see your A1C at 7 before surgery or like in my case I had to have a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.    

Some people get frustrated with this process, but I can see how it is really for our benefit so hang in there no matter what!

jerseyjazzell
on 10/10/13 1:31 pm
I met with the nutritionist today for the gb1 class and also later this afternoon for the nutrition class. To my understanding we have to complete gb1 and gb2 class, we also have to meet with the nutritionist 4 times/once a month and also meet with the social worker to have an evaluation conducted and other test such as blood work, EKG, etc. I am scheduled to see the nutritionist next month on the 11 th she will be going over my food journal calorie intake and suggesting appropriate food selections. She told me this process takes roughly about 6 months if I do everything properly.
Although I was excited about beginning these weight loss classes in the back of my mind I thought they would be a waste of time, but this class was very informative and helpful.... I still would like to speed the process up. : )
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 174 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 450 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 474 views