PPI Question???? Do we HAVE to take them?

shellyb1203
on 10/10/13 1:07 am
VSG on 09/20/13
I hear everyone talk about the PPI's. I have them but haven't taken them. Since my surgery, I haven't had any reflux or heartburn at all. Should I still take or only if problems arise??? Is it dangerous not taking them?

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

Keith L.
on 10/10/13 1:18 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I only take them when I need them. Early out I took them while I was healing because I was and still occassionally am a producer of acid. If you are early out it makes the healing more comfortable, later its up to you.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

shellyb1203
on 10/10/13 1:22 am
VSG on 09/20/13
Thank you Keith. I don't like taking anything unless I actually need it. After looking at some of the side effects, I didn't think taking them when I have no symptoms would be a good idea.

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

katym
on 10/10/13 1:29 am - PA

Hi Shelly,

Sleeves like people are not all alike. It does seem to be very common to take PPIs but my doctor does not automatically prescribe them. I have never taken them and have had no issues with heartburn or reflux in the 21 months since my surgery.

I am not qualified to give you medical advice. Since you already have PPI, I would talk to your doctor again before making any decision about what is right for you.

All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

emelar
on 10/10/13 1:43 am - TX

No, it's not dangerous to not take them.  Keep in mind that, in addition to reflux or heartburn, acid will mimic hunger.  If you find yourself feeling hungry for no good reason (you're well hydrated and you've eaten already), then you can try the PPI to see if it was just some acid causing the feeling.

OregonGuy2012
on 10/10/13 1:59 am
VSG on 04/04/13

Personally I would take them for the first year.   The PPI will reduce the amount of acid in your stomach.  There are two main reasons I am aware of for taking them.  The first is for healing your new stomach, and the second is to allow your stomach to stabilize its acid out put.  VSG surgery causes more pressure to develop and can cause or increase acid reflux.   In the end it's your health and your decision.  I would do the research yourself and contact your surgeon.  Best of Luck on you new journey!!!

Tammy V.
on 10/10/13 9:32 am - Alvarado, TX
Do you take them at night or in morning ?

Tammy V
OregonGuy2012
on 10/11/13 1:46 am
VSG on 04/04/13

I take 1 cap in the morning and 1 cap at night.

danixbanani
on 10/10/13 2:07 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Personally, I still take them at a year out and I probably will continue to do so.  If I don't take them, I don't get acid reflux as much as CONSTANT stomach gurgling.  And I mean loud gurgling in addition to burping a lot...not sure why at all but the PPI helps lol

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views