Allergic to Whey - Need Soy Protein Drink Suggestions

SophieNJ
on 10/14/13 10:15 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

my NUT told me that some people can only tolerate a certain amount of lactose, and if they go over that, the yucky stuff starts.  perhaps the only way to know is try some when you plan to have a day at home :)

hope123
on 10/14/13 10:25 am - MO

That kind of make sense to me, because like I said before, I've had chocolate milk at times and it didn't bother me very much, maybe a little extra mucus, but it didn't last extremely long.  Maybe it depends on the version milk comes in too, because I really felt the difference between a regular glass of milk and whey protein isolate, wherein the whey protein isolate gave me TONS of mucus.

hope123
on 10/14/13 10:32 am - MO

Here is the definition of Whey Protein:

Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. Some preclinical studies in rodents have suggested that whey protein may possess anti-inflammatory or anti-cancer properties.[1][2] The effects of whey protein on human health are of great interest and are currently being investigated as a way of reducing disease risk, as well as a possible supplementary treatment for several diseases.[3]

Whey protein is commonly marketed and ingested as a dietary supplement, and various health claims have been attributed to it in the alternative medicinecommunity.[4] Although whey proteins are responsible for some milk allergies, the major allergens in milk are the caseins.[5][6]

Whey is left over when milk coagulates and contains everything that is soluble from milk. It is a 5% solution of lactose in water, with some minerals and lactalbumin.[7] It is removed after cheese is processed. The fat is removed and then is processed for human foods.[7] Processing can be done by simple drying, or the protein content can be increased by removing lipids and other non-protein materials.[8] For example, spray drying after membrane filtration separates the proteins from whey.[9]

Whey can be denatured by heat. High heat (such as the sustained high temperatures above 72 °C associated with the pasteurization process) denatures whey proteins. While native whey protein does not aggregate upon renneting or acidification of milk, denaturing the whey protein triggers hydrophobic interactions with other proteins, and the formation of a protein gel.[8] Heat-denatured whey can still cause allergies in some people.[10]

Whey protein is the collection of globular proteins isolated from whey, a by-product of cheese manufactured from cow's milk. The protein in cow's milk is 20% whey protein and 80% casein protein,[11] whereas the protein in human milk is 60% whey and 40% casein.[12] The protein fraction in whey constitutes approximately 10% of the total dry solids in whey. This protein is typically a mixture of beta-lactoglobulin (~65%), alpha-lactalbumin (~25%), bovine serum albumin (~8%)(see also serum albumin), and immunoglobulins.[13] These are soluble in their native forms, independent of pH.

Being a by-product of the cheese making process, and the likelihood of animal rennet use, whey protein as well as casein products may not be suitable for consumption by lacto-vegetarians or observers of kosher dietary laws. There are however specialty producers of vegetarian approved whey protein products produced using non-animal "rennet" (enzymes). These products are often also labeled as kosher and halal approved.[citation needed]

Whey protein typically comes in three major forms: concentrate (WPC), isolate (WPI), and hydrolysate (WPH).

• Concentrates have typically a low (but still significant) level of fat and cholesterol but, in general, compared to the other forms of whey protein, have higher levels of bioactive compounds, and carbohydrates in the form of lactose — they are 29%–89% protein by weight.
  • Isolates are processed to remove the fat, and lactose, but are usually lower in bioactivated compounds as well — they are 90%+ protein by weight. Like whey protein concentrates, whey protein isolates are mild to slightly milky in taste.
  • Hydrolysates are whey proteins that are predigested and partially hydrolyzed for the purpose of easier metabolizing, but their cost is generally higher.[8] Highly hydrolysed whey may be lessallergenic than other forms of whey.[10]
hope123
on 10/14/13 10:48 am - MO

It sounds like they're saying the major allergens in milk are the caseins, so I have no idea if there's a way to get whey protein without caseins.

Antimony40
on 10/14/13 11:37 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

In general, there are 3 things in "milk" that you can have issues with -- Lactose, which is usually an intolerance to the natural milk SUGAR, whey (protein) or casein (protein) allergy...if you are allergic to the whey protein, it can be lactose free or not--the two are only barely related because they both involve milk...

You'll need to work with an allergist and your NUT to find what you can and can't have--there are plenty of other types of proteins supplements....soy, egg, hemp, rice...

NUTS say that whey isolates are the best, but if you can't have that, they need you to have something else!!

some links are below...

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/egg-white-protein-vanilla.asp

http://eas.com/product/soy-protein-powder

http://www.sunburstsuperfoods.com/organic-brown-rice-protein-powder/

http://www.sunburstsuperfoods.com/organic-brown-rice-protein-powder/

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3774181

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

hope123
on 10/14/13 1:03 pm - MO

Thank you Antimony40, I checked out those links!  :-)

katym
on 10/14/13 12:36 pm - PA

Hi Hope,

Go to Whole Foods when you have some extra time & money. They have quite a few alternative proteins: vegan protein powders whether soy hemp or pea are by definition lactose & whey free. Some are available in single serving packets but not all. I have tried some that are quite tasty while others are like grass clippings. I think it is quite subjective.

You also mentioned having issues with some artificial sweeteners, many of the proteins at Whole Foods are sweetened with stevia. Jay Robb brand makes both whey protein powders and egg protein powders all sweetened with stevia. Last time I was at Whole Foods they had single serving packets of the Jay Robb egg proteins.

good luck, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

hope123
on 10/14/13 12:43 pm, edited 10/14/13 12:44 pm - MO

Thank you Katy!  I was just checking out that brand myself.  It's definitely much more expensive, and I'd probably have to cut the packet amount in half, because I think they are 12 ounce packets, so I guess that will help it last a little longer at least.  I'm crossing my fingers that I don't find out next that I'm allergic to eggs also, LOL!  There's a couple other brands out there I'm checking out too. Thanks!  :-)

Antimony40
on 10/14/13 7:49 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

Vitamin Shop has single serves of Jay Robb egg as well

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

buggin714
on 10/14/13 1:21 pm - Tampa, FL

I use Soy Protein 95 from GNC. It is the only one I can drink due to allergy to whey it is also gluten,dairy and yeast free. It took a lot of searching to find one . They have chocolate and vanilla. They just quit carrying the unflavored.  Good Luck.

CJ

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views