Carb Cycling

sarapilar
on 10/15/13 5:41 pm
VSG on 02/21/13
"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/15/13 8:38 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Even I could do 2 days of low carb a week. I may try this when we get back home.

We're in Hawaii right now and other than making sure we get in our protein and fluids we're not worrying a whole lot about what we eat. It helps that we're doing most of our own cooking in our hotel room. We travel with the world's smallest rice cooker, which makes cooking simple meals pretty easy, and we supplement with local fruit from the farmer's market across the way from our hotel and some premade stuff from the Whole Foods that is a 20 minute walk from our hotel.

It also helps that we can eat things like Greek yogurt, which makes supper after a day of fun easy. Cut up some local fruit (lychee, guava, persimmon and some sort of mystery fruit tonight) add Greek yogurt and some sweetener, eat and fall into bed.

Tomorrow we're driving the Road to Hana with stops for hiking and picture taking. The next day is The Sugar Train, more hiking, trophy yarn for me and zip lining for Lovey. We're having a great time.

Kelly-Anne (who got to 15,300 steps today - go me!)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Keith L.
on 10/15/13 10:51 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I have done the carb cycling thing a couple times in my journey. It is effective and actually energizing but there is a catch. After your high carb day, you have a super low carb day and that day is rough, week after week. Its very hard to get back. So unless you are super disciplined I would advise against it. I had to stop because it was getting harder and harder to get back.

Now if you really want to try something that works really well, look into intermittent fasting. Much more effective and you regain control of your sleeve.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/16/13 3:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The article she linked to suggests just 2 days of low carb each week with eating "normally" the rest of the time. My normal is moderate carb, with the bulk of my protein coming from low fat dairy, fish or chicken 3-4 times a week and legumes and soy stuff. My carbs come from the dairy, legumes, fruit, veg and whole grains.

Low carb days would likely have to be RTD shakes, baked fish and a scrap of low gi veg, but I could tolerate that for 2 days a week for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. A day of shakes tightens Fred right up to a capacity of about 1/2 cup. I think any tighter would make it hard to get in my protein from anything BUT shakes.

I'll read up on the fasting. Skipping the occasional meal is no great hardship, but I don't think it's something I want to do long term. (But I might try it short term)

Keith L.
on 10/15/13 10:51 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I have done the carb cycling thing a couple times in my journey. It is effective and actually energizing but there is a catch. After your high carb day, you have a super low carb day and that day is rough, week after week. Its very hard to get back. So unless you are super disciplined I would advise against it. I had to stop because it was getting harder and harder to get back.

Now if you really want to try something that works really well, look into intermittent fasting. Much more effective and you regain control of your sleeve.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/27/13 8:18 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Could you explain exactly how you did the intermittent fasting? We're back home and I'm ready to get back on the wagon.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views