Protein Shakes taste different (One month Out)???

shellyb1203
on 10/23/13 12:48 pm
VSG on 09/20/13

Okay, maybe this is all in my head...but   

The protein shakes that I was drinking pre-op and post-op are now suddenly tasting different at one month out.  I am still getting them down (with some mind over matter control)  but the taste of them has seemed to change to me.   Is this normal?   Should I switch to a different one or is it just the protein shakes in general that are probably messing with my mind's tastebuds?

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

LtWeight
on 10/23/13 1:09 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

My protein shakes I drank before surgery suddenly tasted so nasty immediately after surgery.  It was all I could do to swallow them.  I ended up having to go with another brand and flavor.  I couldn't even mast the underlying taste of the original one with "recipes" for protein shakes.  I wish I had purchased some assortments before I had surgery so I could try different ones. 

I also noticed that other tastes changed too and I couldn't stand the smell of peoples breath right after surgery.  It was like my sense of smell was on overdrive.  I now crave and want the things that are best for me, good protein and veggies/fruits.  I absolutely love the "full" feeling I get after I eat my dense protein first, then my other items. 

Good luck to you!

jenamir21
on 10/23/13 1:19 pm
VSG on 10/14/13

I am having the same problem..I haven't been able to get any protein drinks in since I have surgery. Everything is super sweet to me. I was able to get the Unjury Chicken flavor protein down, but it took me all day to get one packet down. I am going out this weekend to see if I can find some other protein drinks to try out.

28 YO 5'11 HW:315 GW:185 SW:293

shajoh
on 10/23/13 2:56 pm - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

This is normal & it gets better. I like the premier protein RTD. They carry it at Costco & SAMs. I love the chocolate. It taste like chocolate milk. I also like Smoothie King's Gladiiator smoothies. They are 45g protein & 1 g of carbs. But be careful of adding things to it. You can add calories & carbs fast. You can buy the powder there also. Good luck. 

Sharla

brynn3
on 10/24/13 1:14 am - MI
VSG on 10/16/13
I was sleeved on Oct 16th and this is my daily struggle as well. Funny thing is, I'm not hungry but wanting real food. Like chicken and roasts. When my family ears these things for dinner I'm fine being around this stuff. Yesterday my first day drinking a whole shake as well and it took me all day too.
One thing that seems to help is sipping on strained cream of chicken soup. Warm food is what I think I'm really wanting. Sorry for the ramble. . Good luck everyone!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views