How Much Water Intake Could You Handle Each Day 1st Week Post-Op?

hope123
on 10/28/13 7:05 am - MO

How many ounces per day of water were you able to get down the first week post-op?

I'm not doing well with that so far, since it hurts to swallow.

Landon B.
on 10/28/13 7:23 am
VSG on 10/15/13

For me the first full day home from surgery I only got about 45 oz in, but after that I had no problem getting 64 oz in the rest of the time, I did find out that cherry crystal lite stuff added to my water made it more tolerable for me. Also warm (not hot) decaf coffee went down easier than water for me. I know everyone is different so take my experience as just my view and not something that would work for everyone. 

hope123
on 10/28/13 7:26 am - MO

I can't drink stuff like Crystal Light, because the fake sugars in them gives me a major headache, so it's plain water for me.  I wouldn't mind drinking more water, it's just painful swallowing.  I'm trying to take tiny sips, and I believe I am, but at this pace I'm not getting much in.  Thanks

TexasTerritory
on 10/28/13 8:34 am
VSG on 07/22/13
The swallowing will improve soon. You are healing from the insertion of tubes during surgery. Just keep sipping. I am like you as I prefer plain water. I had a major addiction to Dr Pepper previously and have had only plain water for 5 months now. I love my water. Good luck.

hope123
on 10/28/13 8:52 am - MO

Since I also had hiatal hernia repair during the VSG, I think I have Dysphagia.  I'm going to try my best to get in as much water as I can, but I know I can't get in as much as they want me to drink.

TexasTerritory
on 10/28/13 9:22 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I had hiatal hernia repair also. And as a speech pathologist, I treat dysphagia. I recommend you contact your doctor for a swallow study. Did you have a leak test after surgery? Are you coughing when you drink water?
My throat was sore after my surgery yet it healed within a week. Water intake was restricted by swelling than by swallowing in the first couple of weeks. My recovery has been uneventful~~thank goodness.

hope123
on 10/28/13 10:26 am - MO

No, they didn't do a leak test before I left, because they indicated not everyone needs it, and I didn't have symptoms of having leakage.  No, I don't cough when I drink water.  The only problem I have is when I drink water, I get a pain in my chest where the esophagus meets the stomach. The only comparison I can think of is maybe it's a slight restriction, which would make sense, since that's where the hernia repair was located.  I just hope it doesn't last super long.

diana44
on 10/28/13 11:33 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

Call your DOC!  Talk to him/her.  I had the same issue & had the same hiatal repair.  They kept telling me everything was fine & my pain was due to the hernia repair.  It ended up being a serious post surgical infection.  Just don't play around w/ complications after surgery...there's a reason they tell you to call.  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

hope123
on 10/28/13 12:23 pm - MO

Thanks Dianna!

chead81
on 10/29/13 12:48 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/13

One week out I was lucky if I was getting in 25-30 oz of water a day. Like you it hurt when i swallowed. This did get better with a little bit of time. Hope you start feeling better.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views