How Do I Remove Suture Glue Post-Op?

hope123
on 10/29/13 11:51 am - MO

Does anyone have a good and easy way to remove the suture glue they put on your incision sites post-op?  The worst is trying to get it out of the inside of my belly-button.  We can't take hot baths, and running the shower over it hasn't helped much.  I've also used Hydrogen Peroxide, etc...  It would be nice to get it off, because it pulls so much being in the belly-button.  Thanks! 

Deckeriv
on 10/29/13 12:20 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

It will come off when it's job is done. Usually three or four weeks.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

hope123
on 10/29/13 12:23 pm - MO

Wow, that seems long.  Some of the other areas have already started coming unglued, but the belly-button is the hardest place.

hollykim
on 10/29/13 12:37 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Leave it alone! If you start pulling onit you are going to rip the incision open. Don't put peroxide or anything Else on it,those things kill the new tissue.
It is the only thing holding your incisions together while they heal.
GL

Debra M.
on 10/29/13 1:34 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Easy! My son had chest surgery and after the tape had done it's job the nurse brought out some little packets and I recognized the smell immediately when she opened one up because I used to fill my dad's cigarette lighter for him when I was a kid. Put a little Ronson's lighter fluid on a cotton ball and gently rub over the glue. It will come right off and should not irritate your skin. I use it all the time to get band aide glue and medical tape glue off.

Dakinbar Yes
on 10/29/13 1:43 pm
VSG on 05/07/14

I agree with the leaving it be til it comes off naturally - could you maybe put a big wound dressing cover over your entire belly button until it works its way out so it doesn't get irritated?

If you must pick at it, try olive oil (I'm sure any oil would do the trick) on a cotton bud, that's what I use to remove any remaining wax after waxing.

shellyb1203
on 10/29/13 3:05 pm
VSG on 09/20/13
Do not pick at it. Let it heal naturally like others have said. If it falls into belly button and is annoying use a q tip to get it out. If you pick at it or try to remove glue too soon not only could it open it up, but u will have worse scarring. I learned that from gall bladder surgery 10 yrs ago.

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

min2758
on 10/29/13 3:08 pm - Boise, ID

If its just glue on skin you're trying to get off, try rubbing alcohol.  If you're not totally healed then wait a bit because it will sting like heck on a cut/incision, otherwise rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball got the glue off my arms after my epidural.  Works great.

PinkNoley
on 10/29/13 11:55 pm - IN

When I went to my two-week post-op appointment, my PA said I could get it off with nail polish remover. I tried once but it didn't work too well and I was too scared to scrub too hard. Might work though.

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

LosingSarah
on 10/30/13 12:23 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I'm two weeks post op and the last of mine came off last night in the shower.  My doctor told me to let it just come off naturally.

Most Active