Thanksgiving! To Turkey or not to Turkey? Advice?

ITwon
on 11/10/13 12:33 am - Woonsocket, RI
So Thanksgiving falls right at the end of week 4 for me. I am supposed to have one more week of purées before meat, but it would be nice to try a little turkey with my meal. (Eating out, so purée not an option). Do you think it would be ok try a little, or should I not risk it and just take it all home and purée it after? I'll have mashed and gravy so I won't starve or anything. I feel like a month is safe, but rules are rules for a reason and I don't presume to know better than doctors. What say you, Internet?
grayC
on 11/10/13 12:38 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Hummmmm... That's a puzzler..
I'd stick to my mashed and maybe stuffing
If your eating out and the turkey wants to come back up...
That could be SOOO not pleasant...take some home and try
Mid-week..
Oh and I'm a bit of a Stephen King fan...is
"what say you"
in reference to storm of the century?

Sandy M.
on 11/10/13 12:40 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Why not bring a small blender (like a magic bullet) along with you and puree it there?

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Somedude
on 11/10/13 12:45 am
VSG on 10/31/13

I'm just a little bit over a week out and I am already eating chicken and tuna and stuff. I totally intend to eat me some turkey!

califsleevin
on 11/10/13 12:50 am - CA

The general rule on my doc's program, irrespective progression rates and phases, is to try one thing at a time to test for tolerance before incorporating new things into the diet. He has a more aggressive (or liberal, if you will,) progression than most so would have been fine with trying turkey at that point (dark meat in particular - moister than light meat) - but I wouldn't have wanted to try anything new while eating out, just in case. So, it's probably best, as you suggest) to stick with the mash and gravy (and maybe some soup, if they have it) and do the puree (and any experimenting!) at home.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/10/13 1:10 am
VSG on 10/09/12

At 4 weeks I was already on a regular diet but my doctor's plan is much faster than most here. It is basically, try it, if it works for yiu, then its OK. If it doesn't work, go back a step. Nothing ever didn't work for me and I was sleeved on October 9th last year and surely had a thanksgiving dinner...two oz of dark meat off the turkey and a couple of bites of veggies. 

This does not mean I am advising you to go off your doctor's plan! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

slimpickins5280
on 11/10/13 1:10 am - CO

End of week 4 - or one more week AFTER Thanksgiving of puree's? There's a difference of about 7 days. What is after puree's for you? Moist, soft meats I assume?

What is you did a hybrid of purees and dense meat? Maybe some brown turkey meat (softer than the white part) with some gravy mixed in? Keep it to 1 ounce at the time to start. Eat it slowly. Chew, chew, chew (at least 25 times). Stop WAY before you are full. Don't add other stuff with it.

I am a big believer in asking your surgeon, first.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Cindy B.
on 11/10/13 1:31 am
VSG on 10/22/12

I had my surgery one year ago and Thanksgiving day was my first day of eating "regular" food. I went into it knowing this was how it was going to be and prepared myself as well as I could. Lucky for me we ate our Thanksgiving dinner here at home and I'm the one that cooked it, with just our family here. I was so surprised at how little I could eat of dense protein and real foods after eating pureed foods (and having my most of my stomach removed). I'm talking maybe 4 tablespoons was my entire "dinner". If you really want that bite of turkey, then I would say try it, but try a very small amount to see how you tolerate it. Don't expect to be able to eat very much and the dark meat will probably be easier to stomach than the white meat since it's moister.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

mickeymantle
on 11/10/13 1:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was on full food after 2 weeks but told to start with soft stuff ,also told not to try new things when not at home

if you decide to eat turkey eat dark meat it is easier to swallow because it is moister also use lots of gravy to lube it up

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Luvs2Cruise
on 11/10/13 2:19 am
VSG on 10/30/13
I was sleeved a week before you. I was planning to not be able to have real food at Thanksgiving and I was totally okay with that. But to my surprise at my last NUT's appointment I will start "soft foods" the day before Thanksgiving.

I won't be at home to introduce Turkey to my diet, so will be eating things I know I tolerate and bringing home the Turkey to have later. It will also allow me to weigh and measure my turkey, before eating it.

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views