Do you find it easier to exercise after surgery?

Lovetocruz
on 11/1/13 4:38 am - Nashville, NC

I get winded (short of breath) when I walk, and my back and legs ache.  I am so hoping this is due to my weight and I will be able to exercise again.  I find it difficult to pick up dropped items from the floor, bending is hard.  Don't usually complain, but just wanted to know if it is realistic to think these will improve with the weight loss.

mickeymantle
on 11/1/13 4:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is definitely easier after loosing weight

I go to the pool daily for aqua  aerobics and water walking which is easier on your legs and back

It would help if we knew your weight and other medical problems

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 11/1/13 4:59 am - TX

I had all of the same issues and yes, it all gets much, much better as you lose weight.

Lovetocruz
on 11/1/13 5:01 am - Nashville, NC

I am 240, with high b/p, a-fib (currently controlled), 58 years old.  Several years ago I had surgery that required me to be less mobile, from that time, I have found it difficult to control my weight and tolerate exercise.  I have a treadmill, but there is not way i can walk a full mile.  I just do not know how to get started with exercise.  Should I wait until after surgery, or start now.  Surgery is one month away.

emelar
on 11/1/13 5:50 am - TX

No need to walk a mile.  Get on the treadmill at a comfortable pace and walk what you can walk.  If you want, do short walks several times a day.  One day you'll discover you can go a little further, a little further, a little faster.....

Lady N.
on 11/1/13 6:28 am

Hello I have surgery on 12/2/2013 and I feel if you do little each day and get into the habit of it, it will be easier. Exercising relieves stress. I am so ready to have my surgery

mickeymantle
on 11/1/13 5:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

start now , and walk 5 minutes on the tread mill and work it up, find a pool if you can it is the best way for you to exercise

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

theladyelsie
on 11/1/13 5:27 am
VSG on 08/06/13

It absolutely gets easier!!!

PsychoWriter
on 11/1/13 6:13 am - St Petersburg, FL
I always worked out. Even at my top 410 lbs i would still do the tae bo tapes and liked yoga and all sorts of stuff but yeah, I'd say after loosing 180lbs-so far-which is like what? all the Jonas brothers put together, exercise is definitely easier and you're going to find that even the little things you do faster than most people. Like i went to a large stadium to see a play with my bestfriend also on the weight loss track and she goes to the gym-i don't. I don't like gyms. My home is my gym. My workouts are my private time from the worlds but anyway-we're making the infamous LONG WALK back to the parking garage-we all know the one lol-and i didn't even realize but i was walking too fast for her. She actually asked if we could slow down and i was just walking normal. You'll notice not just working out but you'll make excuses to take the long way in doing things. Having this surgery is life changing and its really like your being given a new body you get to discover and you just WANT to push the limits to see how far you can go. But don't get discouraged in the beginning. We all have to start somewhere. The important thing is you started. Best wishes!
Lady N.
on 11/1/13 6:30 am

I appreciate this information myself. I Have my surgery on 12/2/2013 and this informational is very good. Thanks for sharing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views