Is my future surgery noe in jeopardy

Lovetocruz
on 11/4/13 8:50 am - Nashville, NC

Had egd today, found hernia.  I was not surprised, but in other cases Dr states no problem, he sill remove during surgery.  This time he didnt.  He said he may need to do rny due to hernia, but then says ..that will take two hours, and the sleeve only one.  because of history of blood clots, time is very important.   Is he going to refuse to operate?

MMmom
on 11/4/13 9:31 am
Why does he need to do Bypass? Is that what he is more comfortable doing? I had a very large hernia and a mesh patch put in during my sleeve surgery. There were no issues and did not take much additional time. Hernias are a very common repairs during WLS. I think I would find out exactly what his reasonings for doing the bypass and let him know what you want. Don't get something done until you are 100% comfortable with the decision.
brynn3
on 11/4/13 9:56 am - MI
VSG on 10/16/13

I had a hernia repair as well, which I was told is very common during wls.  Wondering why he would push for the rny instead.

Good luck with everything.

Brandy 

grayC
on 11/4/13 10:36 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I also had hernia repair during surgery...
Hernia was not detected before surgery, discovered during surgery..
He fixed it while being sleeved..no problem...

mickeymantle
on 11/4/13 2:09 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon told me after my surgery I had a small hernia that he fixed and he said 30% of his patients have a hernia , mine was not seen during the endoscope,

maybe yours is very large or did damage to your stomach , you could go for a second opinion

I have a clotting disorder and my vsg took almost 2 hours

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

hollykim
on 11/4/13 11:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hernias can be fixed during almost any abdominal surgery,including Wls. Surgeons receive more money for doing the RNY. Could this be the reason he " can't" do your sleeve and "has" to do RNY?

Personally, I would get a surgeon who CAN do a hernia repair and a sleeve before I would have a surgery that I don't want.
GL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views