Post Op Recovery Quandary

wendyred
on 11/6/13 10:02 am

Hi All,

Quick intro...just got the green light from the insurance company! I meet with my surgeon and nutritionist Nov 21 and will schedule at that time.

At this point I am planning, hoping, to schedule before the end of the year. Financially this makes sense. The quandary is that my stepsons, ages 4 and 9 come to visit during Christmas as do my in laws. Am I crazy to think I can take on company so quickly after surgery? Last December 21 I had my gall bladder removed and did okay with company but did lay low. I just have the sense that this may require a little more recovery, and of course the dietary restrictions will be noticable.

I also would rather not share that I have had surgery with my step kids or in laws.

Any insights?

Thanks!

min2758
on 11/6/13 11:21 am - Boise, ID

If you don't want to explain why you feel sick and your eating habits, maybe you can have it done after Christmas?  Like the week after?  Or just tell them and get it over with.  They'll ask when you start losing weight anyway.  I'm a huge fan of laying it out there.  Anyone who would be judgmental about surgery is most likely already judgmental about weight.  I personally would not put my surgery on hold or delayed because of what some relatives might think or say.  They might surprise you and be very supportive!

wendyred
on 11/6/13 12:12 pm
My bad, I was not very clear with my post. The company comes on Christmas Day and stays through the new year. It's a lot even when I am feeling well. I am hoping that I will be one week post op prior to any company and have been trying to gauge how I will be feeling based on others experiences. (I know, no guarantees) Regarding telling them, it's not going to happen. The people in my family and my husbands family that need to know aleady do. For now, that is the way that I want that to be.

Kiki_2007
on 11/6/13 1:01 pm - WA
VSG on 07/01/14

Here's what I would do.  A few days before they're to arrive, call and tell them you have a tummy virus with puking and diarrhea. Tell them that you're probably very contagious and have no energy to entertain them or keep them company.  If they have any brains they'll back out.  Say you want to see them--even if you don't--but will have to put it off a few weeks.   Then if they do come a few weeks later, you're eating very little because the virus just took it outta ya!  There is always something going around and they have to understand that. Good luck!

~I know not where I'm going, for the ocean will decide.
It's not the destination, but the glory of the ride.~
mickeymantle
on 11/6/13 2:31 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you will probably be on full liquids the first 2 weeks , you could say you are on a liquid diet

but you will not be able to lift the kids up (no lifting more than  10 lb for 6 weeks )so that may be a problem

ether cancel with them or tell them you will not be able to hide it for the first few weeks

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sandy M.
on 11/6/13 7:34 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Personally, I'd find a way to un-invite them.  You'll want to focus on yourself for the first month or so after surgery, not worry about entertaining others.  Your husband should be able to help here - it's his family, right?  He should try to rearrange the schedule so that Christmas festivities are moved into January this year!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

The_True_KayD
on 11/6/13 8:48 pm

I will be having my surgery in December. I told my family that I don't know how I will be for the holidays. I may need to bow out and celebrate it later. I stressed that it will be only this holiday!

I agree with the other peoples' posts who said to postpone the celebration. Guests are alot of work even when you are feeling well. You need to focus on yourself and you healing.

I am dropping the "people pleaser" part of my personality. It just does not work well for me.  I need to be a bit selfish so that I can return to health.

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/13 8:55 pm - Tracy, CA
I think you should cancel this year IMO. Have everyone over next year. Focus on you its family so I'm sure they can understand.
luvbskts
on 11/6/13 10:11 pm

Your in-laws are adults and don't need to be entertained.  Tell them you're not feeling the best, apologize, and have them take care of their grand-kids!

hollykim
on 11/6/13 11:53 pm, edited 11/13/13 4:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Honestly,there is a possibility that there won't be an opening on the surgeons schedule till the first of the year. Everyone and eir dog tries to schedule surgeries in the last two months of the year as that is when most ppl meet their deductibles,if they are going to.

Unless you get a surgery date in thenext week or so,realistically,you will either be on your pre op liquid diet or your post op liquid diet. during the holidays.

I am also in the camp with the. It is your husbands family,let him deal with it. What if you were having cancer treatment or something. Like that and felt horrible? Would you still feel obligated to host a big party then? Same difference to me. WLS by its very nature of learning a whole new lifestyle is a time to concentrate on YOU,not what everyone else expects you to do.
GL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views