Guess I have to leave this group.....

Lovetocruz
on 11/8/13 7:12 am - Nashville, NC

Just opened letter from surgeon.  He wants to do rny instead of sleeve due to hernia.  I guess I'll need to switch boards.  You all have been great.  I'll be back to visit!

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/13 7:19 am

Get another opinion.  I am not kidding, do it.  Go see a great surgeon and find out if that is your only option.  My surgeon fixes hernias all the time during surgery.  i am sure others do too.  Don't settle unless you have no other choice.  Surgeons are not Gods, they make mistakes and have different opinions.  This is too important to not research the heck out of first.

candiedtamz
on 11/8/13 7:33 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Umm...I'm sorry but that doesn't sound right at all to me!  I had a hiatal hernia that was found during my endoscopy and it was repaired during my sleeve operation. I totally agree that you need to seek a second opinion if you have your heart set on getting the sleeve surgery. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Sandy M.
on 11/8/13 8:13 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Yep - I agree with the others - I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve. Get a second opinion if you believe that the sleeve is the way to go.  This is too important of a decision to leave up to one surgeon's opinion.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Lovetocruz
on 11/8/13 8:18 am - Nashville, NC

My cousin and I both started this process with the same Dr. At the same time.  When I first went  to seminar, I only knew of the rny. He explained the sleeve and recommended it for BMI's under 40, and the very high BMI's.  I liked what I heard and began to research the procedure, so did my cousin.  We both had our egd and both had a hernia.  He told her he would repair hers. During her sleeve surgery.  When I had my egd, he also said I had a hernia and said that he could repair it, but it was his opinion that I would have a major problem with reflux.  He said he wanted to review everything ( i have blood clotting issues too) and would make a recommendation.  I just wonder if "all h. Hernias are not created equal".   I selected him because he is the head of bariatrics at one of the top medical schools in the country, and I liked the way he explained things early on.  It is so hard to pick a surgeon.  I want a medical school in case i have complications.  He is the resource in our state for complicated cases from smaller hospitals.  My cousin and I are scheduled for the same day now, she will get the repair and sleeve, and i guess i will get the repair and rny from same dr.

Sandy M.
on 11/8/13 8:32 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Glad you did your research - when you meet with him again, I'd ask for a thorough explanation of why the RNY is a better option for you.  RNY is a fine option - I'd just want to know exactly why it's the best option.  I had horrible acid reflux prior to my VSG - my surgeon warned me that VSG may not be a good option if the reflux wasn't caused by my hernia.  I felt certain enough that it was (and a slipped lap band) that I chose VSG.  Although I've been on Prilosec for six months after surgery during the healing process, I discontinued using it 2 days ago without any issues.  

Regardless, you are on your way to a new, healthier, lifestyle, so good for you!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

lil1inside
on 11/8/13 9:06 am
VSG on 07/10/13

That doesn't sound right.  Tell him you don't want him to fix the hernia at this time.  Mine didn't.  He said he preferred to fix them later and that the healing process would be better and if anything went wrong, we'd know exactly where to look (instead if I'd have complications from the hernia), so, I don't see why he couldn't do this.  BUT perhaps he/she just doesn't want to perform this procedure?

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

grayC
on 11/8/13 9:08 am
VSG on 05/01/13
No offense but your Dr is WRONG!
I had a hernia they fixed it when they went in to do the sleeve..

Lovetocruz
on 11/8/13 9:14 am - Nashville, NC

Oh my...... Really getting cold feet!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views