Another newbie question...

luvbskts
on 11/11/13 3:54 am

My surgery is 12/17.  I'm starting to plan things for when I come home.  Honestly, the thought of pureed meat makes me want to hurl.  Do I have to have it or can I supplement with refried beans, protein shakes, and protein powder?

claimmaster
on 11/11/13 3:58 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I never did any pureed meat.  I never did any pureed anything, actually, unless it was already in a pureed state, like a creamed soup.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

MsVonne
on 11/11/13 3:58 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

Hi,

I didn't do the pureed meat either I just made sure I got as much protein I could take in by shakes or beans, eggs anything soft you can get down and chew very well.  But try to stay as close as you can to the doctors plan for you.  But you won't be able to take in a lot anyway so I would make it count and go with the protein shakes.  Good luck.

tysmom01
on 11/11/13 4:09 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Your doctor will give you options of what you can eat and when. I ate lots of refried beans during the pureed stage. I mixed in cheese and plain greek yogurt to help with the taste. But I also pureed chicken, tuna, and crab meat mixed with seasonings and things and as long as you don't look at it, it doesn't taste any different than non pureed. Even the beans look gross! You'll learn to be able to eat things you never thought you would. I was so sick of the liquid phase since I was in it for 2 weeks pre op then 10 days post op, I was so happy to finally actually eat something. It didn't matter to me what it was! HAHAHA. You're going to do fine, just follow your doctors orders. Good luck to you!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Keith L.
on 11/11/13 5:03 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I did two things for my puree'd food period. I made a batch of Elina_7's green chicken soup but I left the chicken in when it was time to blend it. Totally hidden in the soup and your don't even know you are drinking the chicken. I even make it this way now.

I also made some old fashioned beef stew without potatoes and then zipped it all up to like a gravy consistency and I served it over a small amount of mashed potatoes. That was the last time I had potatotes over a year ago now. But it was very tasty. Other than that I didn't do any other puree'd meats. 

But to answer your question yes you can also include some greek yogurt into that plan. Refried beans are a bit higher in carbs so keep that to a minimum. Soft white fishes to not have to be puree'd to eat them during soft foods.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KrisJ77
on 11/11/13 5:41 am - TX

Ewwwwww...lol!! I never pureed anything! I did shakes and soups - also carnation drinks with protein powder and milk. I couldn't stomach an egg so not too many of them... just take it slow....I'm sure your Dr will give you a list of what you can have and when. Hang in there - the beginning is rough but it will get better!! Kris

LosingSarah
on 11/11/13 6:08 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I couldn't imagine having pureed meats either. Mainly because I'm not much for sweets and I couldn't imagine only consuming that kind of thing, so I ended up making homemade bean & ham soup, homemade ground chicken & garden veggie soup, and homemade chili, then pureed them. It was actually pretty easy to eat them.  I also had things like Greek yogurt with unsweetened applesauce & cinnamon, cottage cheese with pepper & dill weed, and more. I also had 1-2 shakes a day to get my protein up.

Good luck! You may find yourself trying things you thought you couldn't because you're sick of the same thing over and over again.

jenlaur1
on 11/11/13 8:19 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

my granddaughter was eating that stuff...or rather not..she even turned her nose up at that stuff...so, for me, I pretty much stayed away from them and ate the other stuff on my list...the pureeing of stews and stuff is actually pretty good...and filling. :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Kecia624
on 11/11/13 12:54 pm

Hello, I am 5 days post-op and was telling my friend about the pureed meat stage.  I too plan to use beans and eggs.  I have less than fond memories of pureed meat (child of the 60's).  I do however like pate', maybe I will have to find some or make my own.  I will let you know how it goes.

Kecia

Jackie T.
on 11/12/13 12:47 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I never ate any pureed meat.  I started with softer proteins like, cheese, cottage cheese, tuna, canned chicken, shrimp and talapia before I moved to more dense proteins.  I tried hamburger early out but it did not agree with me until I was about 6 months out. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views